|[gala]|

****
July 20th 2012
****

Ellen gave herself one last look in the full length mirror hanging on the door of her bedroom. Her fit and flare black dress accentuated her curves perfectly and complimented her olive skin. Her dark shoulder length brown hair was teased and softly curled to perfection and her red lips were plumped. She looked like a model in her red high heels. "Ellen, we have to leave," Nicole said calmly from the kitchen. Ellen adjusted her bracelet and grabbed her red clutch.

"Coming!" Ellen cooed. Her and Nicole were going to a gala at Bank of America Stadium. Only people who worked for the Panther's organization were invited, and they were invited because Nicole was the media manager for the team.

"You look hot!" Nicole said when she saw her nearly twin sister. Although they were two years apart in age, they looked so much alike it was scary.

"Thanks Nic," Ellen said. Her and Nicole were best friends who were lucky enough to be sisters. The sisters got into Nicole's white Chevrolet Malibu and went to the stadium.

"Now, try to play nice tonight. I know you don't want to go but this is my job and I need to make a good impression," the older sister scolded. Ellen was only going tonight because she wanted to be there for Nicole, she couldn't care less about the Panthers or any team for that matter.

"Football is just not my thing," Ellen crossed her arms over her chest. Ellen was always more of the girly girl of the two and never liked watching sports.

"I know, but you look great so try to enjoy yourself," Nicole said. The rest of the ride to the stadium was silent.

Even though she didn't want to be there, Ellen had to admit the gala was beautiful. There was a tent in the middle of the field and Christmas lights hung from the beams, creating a rustic and romantic vibe. There were circular tables surrounding the dance floor which sat directly in front of the stage. The sisters got to the gala right on time for the speeches. Ellen and Nicole found an empty table near the dance floor. "I'm going to go use the restroom, I'll be back," Nicole said standing from the table and walking off. Ellen was all alone until a tall man with dark curly hair took Nicole's seat.

"Hello," he said. His dark gray tux was fitted perfectly and went well with his Panther blue bow tie and white undershirt. He wore glasses, that were nerdy and sexy at the same time.

"Hi," Ellen said uninterested in the attractive man as she looked around the tent at all of the people.

"I'm Luke. Luke Kuechly," he said holding out a hand for Ellen to shake.

"Ellen Reilly," Ellen said putting out her small hand to him.

"Ellen, it's a pleasure to meet you," Luke said. Ellen nodded and looked the other way. "So what brings you here? Cheerleader?" Luke asked.

"Ha. Funny. No, my sister is actually the media manager for the Panthers. I'm her plus one," Ellen answered.

"Well, remind me to thank her for bringing you here," Luke said.

"What about you? Why are you here?" Ellen asked ignoring what Luke just said to her.

"Rookie," Luke answered.

"Where did you go to college?" Ellen asked suddenly interested, resting her chin in her hand

"Boston College. I'm originally from Cincinnati," Luke answered proudly.

"Oh, I love Boston," Ellen said. "How old are you?" Ellen asked raising an eyebrow, he looked about her age.

"I'm 21. How about you?" Luke asked.

"20," Ellen added quickly. There was a pause in the conversation.

"Can I have this dance?" Luke asked as he heard a slow song come on over the speakers.

"I'd rather not," Ellen said.

"Oh come on," a persistent Luke said pulling Ellen on to the dance floor. Ellen was intrigued by his youthful spirit but she trudged the whole way behind him. Luke was smiling ear to ear. He held onto her small waist tightly like she was his lifeline and his touch sent a chill down her spine. She unwillingly draped her small arms around his neck.

"So, are you a Panthers fan?" Luke asked.

"No," Ellen shrugged.

"Then who are you a fan of?" he questioned knitting his eyebrows together in curiosity.  He didn't understand how you could live in North Carolina and not be a Panthers fan.

"No one, I don't like football," Ellen said simply.

"How do you not like football? It's an American tradition," Luke said, he was offended that someone didn't like his passion.

"Maybe that's the problem. Ever since we are little kids our parents put this idea in our heads about which team we should like and we are forced to go with it. I don't like being told what to do something just because society says I should," Ellen said defending her stance.

"That was deep. I like it, but I think you would change your mind if you went to a game," Luke said.

"I doubt it. Besides I've been to an NFL game before. It didn't change my mind," Ellen said.

"Well  maybe you didn't think it was interesting because I wasn't playing," Luke smiled sarcastically.

"Someones a little full of himself," Ellen said, finally cracking a smile.

"You have a beautiful smile," Luke said flashing her one of his big smiles. Ellen blushed. The song ended and the pair split apart.

"Nice meeting you," Ellen said.

"Wait, can I get your number?" Luke asked as Ellen walked away.

She turned around and said "Maybe next time." She gave Luke a little wink and disappeared into the crowd, leaving Luke to himself in the middle of the dance floor. Ellen joined arms with her sister and left the gala, as Luke just watched.

****

Let me know what you guys think! This is my first non- Patriots book I've written so we will see how it goes.