|[epilogue]|

May 7, 2016
****

Ellen sat on a blanket and held her newborn daughter close to her body. She shielded the baby from the shining sun to prevent her delicate skin from getting burnt. Reilly August Kuechly snuggled into her mothers chest, accepting the cover from the sun.

Ellen watched from her blanket as Luke tried to teach their son how to catch a football like the Panthers Wide Receivers. Luca August Kuechly idolized his father, and loved playing football with him whenever he could. Sunday's immediately became the little boys favorite day of the week, and he anticipated them as any other kid did Christmas. Lucky for Luca, Christmas came at least 17 times a year.

Ellen graciously smiled at her husband, still as in love with him as when Luca was born. He spotted her and smiled back. Luke was crunched on his knees as their dark haired little boy tackled him on the ground. Luke dramatically fell over to make Luca believe he was stronger than him.

Ellen's gaze drifted from her boys to her girl. Being pregnant with Reilly was different than with Luca. They both anticipated Reilly coming and we're excited to complete their family. She ran her fingers through the girls thick black hair as her dark brown eyes closed from her heavy eyelids finally giving in to the tiredness.

When Reilly was born, Ellen's life felt complete. She had a loving husband, a handsome son, and a gorgeous baby girl. She had one child for each arm to snuggle in.

She surprised herself with her motherly instincts. As soon as Luca was placed in her arms, she instantly became intoxicated with every little thing he did. Every cry. Every gurgle. And every movement. She threw herself into the life of being a mother and found joy in it. She couldn't believe at one point she thought about running away from the precious life she helped create. Life without her kids was unbearable to even think about.

Reilly sat in her arms sound asleep as a small smile spread across her thin lips. Ellen's heart fluttered as Reilly's dimples shone on her cheeks.

She looked back up at her boys

She looked back up at her boys. Luke was now teaching the two year old how to throw a spiral. Ellen couldn't hear him from her spot in the shade but she saw Luke was laughing. His biggest accomplishment wasn't his football career. It was his kids. He proudly admitted that of anyone who asked. Watching Luca play football was his best project. He couldn't wait for the days when Luca would play on Friday nights. Ellen knew Luke would never miss a game. He would be there on the sideline, cheering for every catch, tackle, and yard.

Ellen adjusted her sunglasses sitting on the bridge of her nose. Luke was staring at her now with his big brown eyes. He shot her a wink and her cheeks immediately filled with color. How lucky she was to be in love with her best friend. The fall was slow to start but once she began slipping under his spell, it was a freefall that she couldn't and didn't want to stop. It still hadn't stopped. And never would.

Luke picked up be football that lay on he grown, due to Luca's butterfingers. And pointed towards Ellen with the tip of the ball. Luca began running to his mother with all of the speed that his little legs had in them. "Hey buddy," Ellen said laughing. Luca had Luke's wide and friendly smile. Ellen wrapped him into a hug with her free hand, careful not to wake Reilly in her other. "How was football practice?"

"I'm going to be a quarterback, mommy," Luca replied excitedly. Ellen raised her eyebrows. The boy usually said he would be a linebacker like Luke.

"You don't want to be a linebacker?" Ellen asked, almost hurt for Luke.

"No. I'm going to be a quarterback," Luca repeated. Luke sat next to Ellen on the red and white flannel blanket. His arm sat protectively behind her.

"Son, you don't need to be a linebacker like daddy. You can be whoever you want to be. Whatever you choose. This is your life. We'll be with you for everything though," Luke said.

"I'm going to be both," Luca said, changing his mind after his father's speech.

"And that's okay too," Ellen said. Luke kissed her neck as his large hand pulled on his daughter's tiny toes. Ellen giggled. Luca fell into his father's lap and the family lay close together on their blanket.

Ellen admired her life. Two beautiful children who's heartbeats could be felt from the closeness to her. A husband who encouraged his kids to live their life the way they dreamed it. A beautiful spring day that they enjoyed together before Luke headed back to training camp. What more could anyone ask for?

"Thank you for enjoying this life with me," Ellen whispered

"Thank you for enjoying this life with me," Ellen whispered. She didn't need to speak loudly, Luke's face was inches from hers.

"Thank you for letting me," he said before closing he small gap between their lips.

****
That's it guys! Thank you so much for always reading, voting, commenting, and following. I may write another Kuechly book down the road, but for now please check out my other stories. Hit the follow button to make sure you stay in the loop about when the next Kuechly book will be out! Thanks again, I love you guys!

xoxo- Casey ❤️