|[boxes]|

****
August 10, 2013
****

Ellen sat on her bedroom floor. She was surrounded by cardboard boxes, plastic totes, and garbage bags.

With each item she packed up, the more the feeling of regret grew in her. She didn't understand her feelings. She regretted not wanting to be with him sooner. She regretted not letting herself love him sooner. She felt like she lost precious time with him that she'd never get back. She loved Luke and couldn't wait to wake up to his smiling lips and beaming eyes, his hot breath and curly hair. His muscular chest and warm toes.

She stacked picture frames and candles, clothes and shoes, pillows and blankets, meaningless trinkets, into the boxes that surrounded her. She labeled them clearly, so she could distinguish what each box held when she ended up where she was going. She was going to Luke's house, the only place she ever wanted to be. She marveled at the picture of her and Luke at graduation. His arms were wrapped around her waist and he stood at her side. Her hand rested on his face as his lips planted a kiss on her cheek. Her smile was so natural, just like everything with Luke was.

She longed for days when after practice he would come home and they could relax together. Or when she got home from work with leftovers and he would chow down on them. Nights that they took on the town and teenage girls shot glares at Ellen fro being with Luke. Or rainy nights when they stayed in and watched a movie, a show, or film. It didn't matter what they watched as long as Luke was the one she was watching with.

He changed her. Before she met him she never thought about getting married or having kids. She thought she would end up alone and she was fine with that. And now, a year after meeting him, her mind wandered to what they would name their kids, where the wedding would be, how many kids would they have, more often than she liked to admit.

Packing up her stuff didn't mean an end to Ellen and Nicole living together. It meant a beginning of Luke and Ellen's lives together. She couldn't wait. She was nearly done packing when she finally looked up at the mirror across from her. She unknowingly had a smile on her face this whole time. She placed the last shirt in a box, taped it up, labeled it and took a from breath. That task was finally done.

"Ellen? Are you done yet?" Luke called from the front door.

"Just finished," Ellen cooed back. Luke offered to help her pack, but she was feeling sentimental and wanted to do it on her own. She came down the dimly lit hallway holding a box under her arm. "The rest are in there," she said pointing behind her to her bedroom.

"Oh, sure. I get the hard job," Luke said breezing past Ellen. She smiled at him and gave him a little shove. He held his arm, pretending that she hurt him.

"Man up, and grab some boxes," Ellen instructed. She slipped in a pair of flip flops and took the lone box to Luke's truck. Who knew this truck would come in handy. She went back into the apartment and helped Luke take the rest to the car. After countless trips, the room was nearly empty. "Is that all of the boxes?" Ellen came up one last time to see Luke carrying what she thought was the last one.

"No, there's one more," Luke said. He wiped his brow. Ellen smiled politely as she went to her bedroom for the last time. In the room there was a tiny box. Not a box that Ellen packed. But a box that Luke placed. She heard his footsteps coming behind her.

"What is this?" Ellen asked, a wide smile spreading across her joyous face. She turned to face him, but he was already down on one knee.

****
"Luke she's going to wake up, just relax," Karen assured him.

"I won't be able to live with myself if she isn't okay. I need her," Luke said. He shook his leg nervously. "I can't imagine living without her."

"Luke, can I tell you a story?" Karen asked. She placed her frail hand on his shoulder. She pushed down trying to get him to stop shaking. He nodded as his eyes looked directly into hers. "When I had Ellen, I was terrified. I know how girls are. I am one, and they scare me. I also knew how Ellen's dad was. I didn't want her to fall in love with a bad guy like I did. So, when she brought you home, I was absolutely relieved that she found someone like you. You are her joy. She may have a hard time showing it, but she needs oh just as much as you need her. I'm glad my daughter has someone that loves her just as much I do," Karen said. Her eyes welled up as she spoke.

"Mrs. Reilly, I love your daughter. I've been thinking about this for a while. I want to spend my life with her. I want nothing but her. I guess what I'm trying to say- is do I have your permission to ask for your daughter's hand in marriage?" Luke asked. He twiddled his fingers nervously.

"Luke, it would be an honor to have you as my son in law. Of course you have my permission," Karen said. The tears of joy streamed down her face and she gladly wiped at them. The feeling of having Ellen learn from Karen's mistake was an overwhelmingly marvelous feeling.
****

"What are you doing?" Ellen asked. Her hands covered her mouth as her eyes beamed at him. Luke let a small laugh escape from his lips before he began talking.

"Ellen, ever since the day I met you I've been intrigued by you. You keep me in my toes with every little thing you do. I want to spend everyday with your sexy body, beautiful soul, and intelligent mind. I love you with every being in my body. You are my future. You are my love. You are my life. Ellen Reilly, will you please marry me?"

"Of course I will," Ellen cried. Her small hands pulled Luke back up to standing height and she pulled him into her for their most passionate kiss. "Is it my turn now?" Ellen asked, biting her lip. Luke nodded. He didn't understand exactly what Ellen meant, but he would say yes to anything she said. "Luke, you've changed my life. You've changed me. You make me see the world in a whole other light. I love you to where the sun sleeps and I can't wait to spend my life with you. I didn't know this kind of love was possible, but you've shown me that it's true. You really understand me and I've never had that before. Thank you for choosing to be my love," Ellen said as her eyes swelled with tears again. Luke's lips met hers passionately. He scooped her up bridal style and carried his fiancé out of her apartment for the last time.
****
Ahhhh! They're engaged! Meet my goal (25 votes and 8 comments) for a quicker update!
💍💍💍