Chapter 1- That's Hardly Newsworthy

“Aria, we should go and see that new horror movie that comes out tonight,” My best friend, Holland, suggests as we walk into the cafeteria for our lunch period. 

“Which one?” I wonder, barely listening as the delicious smell of chicken nuggets fills the air. I really hate school lunch because usually it’s disgusting, but man, their chicken nuggets are really delicious. Hence their delicious smell.

“Uh, I think it’s called Harlow Avenue?” Holland supplies, walking parallel to me. “It’s ike about this little girl whose parents were weird and demented so they killed her but her pissed off spirit comes back and then she tries to kill everyone on her block.” She explains. “It’s super intense though and rated R.”

“That’s so dumb,” I scoff, rolling my eyes. “I don’t even like paranormal movies.” I remind her.

“Yet you watch Supernatural. Yeah, Aria, that totally makes sense.” Holland sarcastically remarks.

“Hey, that’s only because of Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki,” I defend. “Okay? They’re perfect and sexy and just wonderful and you have no idea what you’re missing by not watching it,” I explicate to my friend.

“Whatever you say,” Holland sings in falsetto as we make our way in the lunch line. We break near the front because, well, the line is long and we only get thirty-five minutes to eat and if we stand in the back of the line approximately twenty-eight of the thirty-five minutes will be spent standing in line. And that’s not okay at all. Therefore, we always break in line near the front. But no one ever really says anything about it.

“Why don’t you go see it with Thomas?” I wonder.

“Because Thomas is with Kate tonight,” She mumbles.

“Holland,” I sigh, giving my friend a stern look.

“What? He said he’ll break up with her tonight.”

Holland and Thomas hooked up like two months ago at Thomas’s eighteenth birthday party, but it was only sex. Neither of them was looking for a relationship or anything from it. Kate is Thomas’s girlfriend, but in Holland’s defense, when she and Thomas had sex that night at the party, Kate and Thomas were on a break.

Yeah, Thomas and Kate are one of those couples. You know the type. The type that’s always either making up or breaking up. Kissing or dissing. An on again, off again couple. I don’t personally know Thomas, really, because he’s kinda popular at our school and I kinda fly under the radar. I do have friends though; I’m not a friendless loser, obviously. But due to the fact that he is not one of my friends, the fact that he doesn’t know if he wants to be with Kate or Holland doesn’t directly affect me. Well, it does Holland of course and she always tells me stuff about the two of them. Everything. Stuff I never wanted to know.

“I just don’t see why you can’t just find someone else,” I shake my head.

“Because I want Thomas,” She whines. “He’s really nice and I really think he likes me, Aria.”

“I’m sure he does,” I agree with a nod. “Just not enough to break up with his girlfriend, right?”

“Let’s talk about something else,” Holland bluntly says, letting out an irritated sigh.

“So, what’d you make on the Physics test?” I ask, promptly changing the subject.

“That test was bullshit; I did bad. Like, really bad.”

“Well, I got a 45%, which is pretty bad.” I claim, smiling to myself as we reach the ordering window. I order my chicken nuggets, Holland her fish tacos- yes, they serve that here. Holland loves them, but I really think they’re disgusting. Like, I’ve only had them once and that’s only because they were out of chicken nuggets, but I swear I spent the entire night throwing up.