Chapter 12- I Really, Really Hate David Letterman

“Well, remember when you left from visiting me in Italy like, a week ago? You told me that you were going back to Los Angeles, and I know that I’ve been in Europe for a few months now, but I am pretty positive that this isn’t Los Angeles,” Tinsley slowly says, removing her large aviator sunglasses and placing them in her expensive looking Chanel bag that’s hanging from her arm. “Then, I wake up yesterday morning,” She continues, “And I hear that my brother, who specifically told me that he’s going back to California, is here. In Indianapolis, Indiana, no less.” She scolds Mason, but obviously she’s not really angry, which would be stupid.  

I guess that she was just concerned about her baby brother. She always did go the extra mile to protect him when we were all kids, I mean. Like, when the older kids would try to bully him, she’d threaten them and basically had them all scared to go within a ten-mile radius of her brother. Granted, that only stopped the older kids from bullying him, it’s not as if Tinsley could come to my and Mason’s school from her school and stop the kids our age from messing with him. It’s pretty sad really now that I look back on it.

Tinsley was always really, really popular though. I remember her before her family left for Hollywood and jump-started their kids careers. She was never the stereotypical mean popular cheerleader girl who put herself above others, though, I don’t think. She’s four years old than I am though, so she was in the tenth grade before they left. Therefore, I never got to meet her personally, but from the interviews I’ve seen her do at her various red carpet events and fashion shows, she really does seem like a nice person.   

“I tried to talk her out of coming, Mason, I really did, but you know how relentless your sister is,” A tall man announces, walking into Tome Sweet Tome. I think that he maybe works for Mason or Tinsley or even both of them because he has an earpiece in his ear and an official looking clipboard thing in his hands. He just looks like a manger type guy, I think. He also has a somber look on his face, one that makes me think he’s a no-nonsense type of guy and I only know that because my mother also sports that look.  

“I am not relentless,” Tinsley corrects, walking up towards the counter and placing the purse on top of it. “I am assertive. So, tell me why you’re here and not in California. You told me that you were going back to Los Angeles,” She demands of her little brother.

“I am going back to Los Angeles, Tinsley,” Mason assures her, running his fingers through his hair. “All I did was take a detour.”

“A detour?” A petite blonde girl echoes, walking into Tome Sweet Tome just as the words are out of Mason’s mouth.

Oh man, including Barb and me, there’s six of us here in the bookstore right now. Like, at one time and that’s like twice as many people as there usually are. At least, when I’m working here, that is. There’s Barb and I, of course, then there’s usually a customer that comes in and on rare occasions, there’s two people together kind of like that older couple that was here earlier. Honestly, I’m just so surprised that this place is actually still like, in business and operating and all of that good stuff. We don’t have a Barnes and Nobel though, at least, not on this side of town. Then again, it’s a big town and I’m assuming that there’s one of the other side of the city, which I never go to because there’s really no reason for me to.

“Yeah, you know, like a diversion,” Mason clarifies with a nod, looking at the blonde girl.

“I know what a detour is, Mason,” The girl confirms with a heavy sigh, shaking her head. She walks up to the counter that Mason and I are sitting behind and she places her hands on her hips, giving Mason a scowling look. “But what are you even doing here?”