Chapter 21- Poor Little Superstar

“You’re still coming over tonight, right?” Mason asks me over the phone a few days later as I’m trying to get myself ready for school.

“Yes, Mason, I’m still coming over tonight,” I assure my boyfriend with a giggle, rifling through my closet for a pair of pants to wear today.

“Okay, good, they’re really excited to meet you,” Mason tells me. “I still think that I should’ve met your parents first though,” He adds.

“Nope, I don’t think that,” I counter, shaking my head in disagreement even though he can’t see me. “If you want to though, you can home with me tomorrow once I get off of work. That’s when I’m gonna ask them about California,” I offer, balancing my phone between the crook of my neck and ear.

“Alright, but I really do want to meet them officially one day, you know,” Mason informs me with a small sigh as if my now wanting him to meet my parents actually offends him or something. I mean, I guess if you’re going to be offended by something, your girlfriend not letting you meet her parents would be a legit reason to be. It’s not that I don’t want Mason to not meet them, because I do, just not yet. We only just got back on good terms in our relationship a few days prior. Not to mention the fact that my parents are incredibly invasive when it comes to my and Caleb’s respective love lives.

Example? Caleb’s last girlfriend was a really gorgeous girl from somewhere over in the U.K. and her name was Eleanor Huntsville. She’d just moved here to America after her gap year after high school to attend Indiana State University, which is in Terre Haute, Indiana, a town about an hour away from Indianapolis.

Anyway, they started dating and he had her over for dinner after about two months of them being together to meet our my parents and myself and it was just so, so bad and awful and terrible. They’re nice people, my parents are, and for the most part (my mom’s pretty mean to me sometimes though) when it comes to my and Caleb’s relationships but they just ask such uncomfortably awkward questions. They were like that with each of my ex-boyfriend, Matty, Billy and Luke.

“I would imagine so,” I confirm. “You can meet them like, officially after we come back from Los Angeles, if you just really, really, really want to. If you meet them before we go though, they’re gonna see how charismatically wonderful you really are and then they’re going to make a lot of really uncomfortable remarks about us dating and how uber important it is to abstain from sex until marriage and a bunch of other dumb stuff like that,” I warn him.

“Okay, yeah, that does sound really awkward,” Mason admits with a laugh. “And you think that too?” He questions.

“I think what too?” I wonder, closing my closet as I find a pair of pants and a shirt to wear to school.

“About the sex thing. Like, you’re celibate or whatever?” He asks bluntly as if we’re talking about the weather.

I blush ferociously and thank every god in the sky that we’re not like, FaceTiming and he can’t actually see me. I clear my throat a few times and stand in front of my mirror, watching my face go back to its normal shade after a few seconds of embarrassing silence. “Erm, no, I’m not celibate,” I answer truthfully, blinking a few times.

“So, does that mean you’re, you know, not a virgin?”

“You’re really curious today, aren’t you, Mase?” I teasingly say with a laugh.

“I guess so,” Mason chuckles. “I mean, you obviously don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”

“No, I don’t mind telling you, you’re my boyfriend after all,” I remind him, as if that isn’t obvious. “But no, I’m not. Erm, I did it when I was like, sixteen with my then-boyfriend, Billy, who turned out to be the worst person in America, so…yeah, that’s what happened there,” I chirpily inform Mason then clear my throat.