Chapter 24- Why Would I Freak Out About That?

“Thank you, Mr. Carter,” Rufus, the limo driver, says with a wide smile as Mason hands him four one hundred dollar bills straight from his wallet before pushing it back down into the pocket of his jeans with one hand, the other lightly placed at the small of my back.

“Not a problem at all, Rufus—  happy holidays,” Mason retorts with a warm smile. “Oh, you don’t have to do that, I’ll have Ashton and Vladimir come and get the things,” He assures, raising his hand to stop Rufus as he pops the trunk on the limo, about to start taking our stuff out of it.

“Okay, if you’re sure. And happy holidays to you too, Mr. Mason and Mr. Mason’s friends,” Rufus replies, still wearing that wide smile as he folds the hundred dollar bills over in his hand and tucks them deep down in his dressy black suit pants. “I will see you in the New Year,” Rufus says before getting into the grey Honda that’s parked in front of where he just parked the limo. He stars it up and then drives off, honking at us as he goes, which makes all four of us briefly wave at him.

“Well, that was generous,” I note, referring to how he just randomly gave the man four hundred dollars and just for driving us from L.A.X to his house. At least, that’s what I assume it was for because I can’t imagine another reason why he’d be giving him any money.

“I guess so,” Mason shrugs like it’s no big deal at all, which I guess to him, it’s really not. I mean, he’s super rich and four hundred dollars to him is like, a thousand to me and a thousand to me is like, ten dollars to him. “His wife just died like, a month ago but they have to light daughters—  Carson and Cameron—  and he told me that he still hasn’t been Christmas shopping because usually his wife is the one that did all of that and he didn’t say it, but I know that money was tight for him, so I figured, why not?”

“You’re a good person, Mason Carter,” I tell him truthfully with a small smile. “Better than good, really, you’re like, the best person ever,” I correct myself, turning so I’m facing him before I go up on my tiptoes to kiss him lightly.

Ahem!” Clark loudly exclaims from where she’s standing, making me laugh at her ridiculousness as I pull away from Mason’s lips. It’s a good thing she did that too because if she hadn’t, I’d have happily stood there and made out with him for like, a good fifteen minutes.

“Okay, well, you’re the second best person ever because Clark is claiming first,” I tell Mason with a giggle.

“That’s better,” Clark retorts, obviously satisfied with my change. “Though I have to respectfully disagree with that because obviously my boyfriend is the second best person in the world, second only to my best friend, of course.”

“You poor delusional girl,” I respond, putting my hand over my heart in faux-sympathy, shaking my head.

“Hey!” Shawn exclaims, suddenly interjecting into the conversation.

“Oh, Shawn, you know I love you,” I tell him, dismissively waving my hand.

“Lies, nothing but lies,” He grumpily shoots back but obviously he knows that I’m only joking.

“You and your friends are very weird people,” Mason chuckles teasingly before moving his hand from the small of my back and lacing our fingers together, leading me up the short series of stairs that lead from the front of the house up to the front door, Clark and Shawn right behind us. When we reach the front door, Mason pulls his iPhone out of his pocket and lets his fingers fly across the screen, texting someone, I guess. Probably Ashton and Vladimir (whoever they are) to come and get our luggage, which we could totally carry all by ourselves, but this is what Mason’s used to, people waiting on him hand and foot and doing stuff for him and who am I to try to change that?