Chapter 20- I Literally Have One Friend

The next morning, Monday morning, I wake up to the sound of my new iPhone courtesy of my lovely boyfriend ringing on my bedside table. I know that it’s probably Mason because he’s really the only one who has the number to this phone, I think. Well, that’s not true. I gave it to Caleb and Clark but I know it’s neither of them because Caleb is most likely still in his bedroom sleeping and Clark is still up in Cape Cod in Massachusetts and she usually never gets up this early when she’s on vacation and if she does, it’s not to call me.

So, it must be Mason then. Coming to this realization, I roll over in my bed sleepily and grab the phone, peeling my eyes open and seeing Mason’s picture on the screen with the name that he apparently saved his number under—  Prince Charming—  with the Emoji that’s got the heart for eyes. He’s just so extremely and adorably cheesy, Mason is, in case you cannot tell, but I really do love it so much.

Given the fact that last boyfriend, Luke Cheshire, never wanted to do anything when we were together aside from make out, feel me up and sell drugs to upperclassmen, I think my newfound love for cheesiness in boyfriend’s is understandable. Then there was Billy Marx, whom I dated before Luke, in my freshman year and part of my sophomore year. He was my first ever serious boyfriend, Billy was. He wasn’t a good boyfriend at all though. All we really did when we were together was go to the movies and then I lost my virginity to him at the beginning of the 10th grade and we broke up about a month later. Like I was saying though, when you take into account the very true fact that my past two boyfriends were disgusting excuses for boyfriends and the worst human beings in America, I think you can understand why Mason being a little cheesy every now and again doesn’t bother me.

“Hello?” I sleepy say, answering the phone and putting it up to my ear.

“Good morning, Sleeping Beauty,” Mason greets and I can practically hear the grin in his voice.

“Good morning, Mason,” I reply with  yawn. “You’re very cheesy, you know,” I inform my boyfriend with a giggle.

“Nope, I’m an actor,” He corrects with a laugh. “And a good portion of my movies are like, rom-coms and stuff like that, so I think that cheesiness has been like, just inbred in me,” Mason explains matter-of-factly.

“Excuses, excuses,” I teasingly reply before falling into an very disgusting and very involuntary coughing fit.

“Are you still feeling bad?” Mason wonders, sounding slightly concerned.

“Yes, awful, actual,” I complain, wrapping myself up in my covers, realizing how cold it really is in my room.

“I can send Chule to come right now and take you to the doctor or whatever, if you want,” Mason offers.  

“Thanks, but I think I’m good. Well, good enough. My dad said that it’s just a virus,” I sigh, running my fingers through my messy hair and pulling it into a messy bun at the top of my head.

“Okay, then, well, are you still grounded?” He wonders, completely digressing from the topic.

“As far as I know,” I confirm before sneezing noisily and grabbing some Kleenex from the box that’s resting on my bedside table and proceeding to loudly blow my nose. This is why I should just move to Florida. Or Texas. Or California. Or anywhere like, towards the south, really. I bet they don’t get sick anywhere near this much since it’s not freezing cold there in the winter like it is here in Indiana.

“I just wanted you to come up to Elkhart with me today,” Mason explains sheepishly. “Do you think I could talk one of them into letting you come? Preferably your mom because your dad kinda like, really scares me,” Mason admits.