Chapter 10- Seriously, You're Being A Drama Queen

The next morning, I wake up to the sound of my stupid alarm clock blaring in my ear with its annoying little beeping noise. Lazily, I extend my arm from the bed and reach around my bedside table, slapping around for the demented alarm clock. As I’m searching for it, I know my iPhone to the carpeted floor in the process, which makes me groan out loud. When I find the alarm clock a few seconds later, I switch it off and roll back over on my back with a long drawn-out sigh. I really don’t want to go to school today. Or any other day, for that matter. I’m just really ready to graduate and be done with it forever. School, that is. Well, at least until I go off to college in the fall.

If I was stupid enough to believe that my mother would really think that I’m sick, I’d tell her that just so she wouldn’t make me go to school. I know she won’t believe me though, because now that she knows I lied to go and hang out with Mason three hours away from where I was supposed to be, she’s definitely not going to let me stay home for any reason unless I’m actually physically dying right her very eyes. Besides that though, I’m not getting out of school for any reason. It’s not that I don’t like school, because I do, I’m just a bit anxious to see Holland. My best friend is a bit…precarious when it comes to things like this.

Here’s the thing, Holland, Preston, her mother and father all moved up here from Arkansas freshman year, like I said. We immediately became friends, another thing I’ve already informed you. When they moved here, Holland’s parents were obviously still married and didn’t divorce until the fall of our sophomore year a couple of years ago. After Holland’s mother cheated on her father with his co-worker, I guess she hid it for a while.

Some sort of way, Holland knew. I don’t know, because she never did like to talk about her parents’ divorce. Anyways, Holland kept it a secret for a few months, I guess and then just randomly blurted it out at dinner one night, because, apparently the guilt was killing her. That very next day, her father filed for divorce and full custody of both Holland and Preston. Preston didn’t want to live with their father, but Holland did and that’s the reason that the two of them live with different parents. Holland did tell me though that she always has felt like the divorce was her fault.

You know, if she’d kept the secret, then her parents would still be together and they’d still have the ‘perfect family’. That’s why Holland hates liars and lies and anything that’s just not the absolute truth. Because that’s what tore her family apart and even though she hides it really well, she blames herself every day for it. Well, her mother too since she’s the one that actually cheated and forced Holland to keep that awful secret, but herself more so, I think.

So, I guess I can understand why Holland was being so Holland-y last night when I told her the truth. I know it’s not a normal reaction and I know how she feels about lies and stuff, but honestly, I think she could at least try to see why I did what I did. I know that she probably thinks that I was just being awful and selfish—  actually, I’m not kidding, I really know that that’s what she thinks because Clark told me that that’s what she was exclaiming the whole drive back to Holland’s house yesterday from mine. So, yeah, I know she’s mad which is why I’m dreading seeing her at school today. Lucky for me though, today is a ‘B’ day, and I only have one class with Holland, but luckily, Clark’s in there. On ‘A’ days I have two with her—  Art and Calculus—  so I’m a little lucky.

When I realize that if I don’t get up and start getting up right now, I’ll be late for school, I groan and stand to my feet from my bed, throwing the covers back. I never make it up which completely goes against my mother’s wishes, but I just don’t see the point of it. I hurry over to my closet with a little extra pep in my step, taking out a few articles of clothing before leaving my room and walking out of the bedroom with the clothes in hand. I make my way to the bathroom and when I get to it, I push the door open, yelping and jumping back, slamming the door behind me when I see what’s in there. Well, who, rather, I guess, but still.