Chapter 8- Don't Be A Sore Loser

“I-I-I should m-murder you!” I shout, my voice trembling as I run after Mason into his parent’s house.

“Hey, I told you not to jump near the edge of the trampoline; did I not?” He replies, sliding the door closed behind us as we enter in through the sliding glass door that leads into the kitchen.

“Well, yes, you did, I guess, but— ”

“But nothing,” Mason interrupts, raising his index finger to my lips. “You’re wet and that’s no one’s fault but your own,” He teases.

“Why the heck do you have an uncovered pool in the middle of December anyway?” I demand, crossing my arms as I feel the goosebumps on my arms start to go away when the warm heat that’s going through Mason’s parent’s home envelops me.

“Heck if I know, this isn’t my house,” Mason reminds me, walking over to a washer and dryer in the kitchen conveniently stored behind a little pantry folding door thing, which is sort of adorable. I stand there, my teeth chattering and my wet hair clinging to my face while I wait for Mason to return from apparently doing some laundry.

“Please don’t tell me you’re washing your clothes when I’m slowly dying from hypothermia here,” I call after him.

“I’m not doing my laundry, Aria; I have a mom for that.” He laughs a second before coming back with a big and fluffy white towel.

He unfolds the towel and then drapes it around my shoulders. It’s actually a really huge towel through, so it falls down nearly to my knees, which are also freezing because I think we all know that skinny jeans retain water like, way more than they should. So my legs are freezing and I’m doing this weird shake thing and I imagine that I must look a chicken. Or and ostrich. They both look really weird when wet though, that’s my point.

“Thanks,” I say gratefully, snuggling up into the towel. I pull it up over my head and begin to dry my hair with it so that I’m not tracking water all throughout this beautiful house.

So, if you’re wondering what happened, here it is. Mason and I went outside to his trampoline like planned. For some reason, his trampoline doesn’t have the net, which I guess is true for a lot of people. I always though the net was stupid and unnecessary until this moment while I’m currently freezing my ass off. So, we got up on the trampoline and starting jumping and playing a bunch of stupid little trampoline games. You know, the egg game, the ‘mummy’ game; all that good stuff. So right before I nearly died out there just now, Mason and I were having a competition to see which one of us could send the other higher with our jump.

I will admit now that that sounded very stupid on my part. I mean, of course, Mason being all like, tall and long and all that, of course he can jump and make me go the highest. I’m just a seventeen-year-old girl with virtually no muscle and I’ve never played on one sports team. Not even the school bowling team, which I hear is like, the easiest thing to get on since Dylan van Berger. Dylan van Berger was a senior at my, Holland and Clark’s high school last year. He was the definition of a man-whore and would get it from anyone who was willing, and was already ready to go. Hence why I compared him to the bowling team, because it’s easier to get onto than it was to get on him, which was and still is, I guess, really easy.

Anyway, so when it was my turn to try to Mason go really high up in the air, I subconsciously jumped around the edge of the trampoline, which is just a few feet away from their gigantic in ground pool that Mason says goes up to eight foot. So, when I jumped, as I was coming back down from it my foot hit the springy part of the trampoline thing and I slipped backwards, and went  headfirst upside down into the pool. Straight into the eight foot. And it was cold as hell. Well, not exactly, but it was cold! Not to mention that I can swim about as well as a cat, I started freaking out because I thought I was drowning and it was freezing me to death. Mason jumped in after me though and pulled me out, stifling his stupid laughs. I’m not really mad at him though, I mean, true I probably should have been more aware of where I was jumping.