Chapter 16- You Can Take The Boy Out Of Indiana

“Clark, don’t leave me; I’m gonna be so lonely,” I cry over the phone, realizing that today is the day that Clark’s going out of town.

“You have a boyfriend, Aria,” She reminds me with a chuckle.

“Yeah, a working boyfriend, who just so happens to be leaving today also,” I complain.

“Oh, yeah? Mason’s going back to Los Angeles today?” Clark asks in shock as I hear a bark in her background.

I know that it’s Sawyer, the Robinson family’s adorable puppy. He’s just a ball of sunshine and just such a lovely pet. I wish that I could like, dog-sit him while the Robinson’s are gone, but I know that I can’t. Clark and her parents are going up to Massachusetts this year for Christmas. Well, not for Christmas itself because they’ll be back a few days before Christmas itself because they’re coming back on the 22nd, I think. I’m not quite sure but I do know that she’s gonna be back here before Christmas for a fact. They’re going up to Cape Cod and rending a cottage or something up there, I think. I’m not so sure that it was the greatest idea, them scheduling a trip to Cape Cod in the middle of December, I mean. Granted, Cape Cod is apparently beautiful this time of year. It sure would suck if they got up there and there was like, some huge avalanche and they got stuck.

Anyways though, I would have offered to keep Sawyer while they’re gone but my mother is such a spaz and I know she would have immediately said no. She doesn’t like dogs like, my mother doesn’t. My dad doesn’t really mind them much, then again, my dad’s such a simple man, and he doesn’t mind much of anything, really. Like, when Caleb and I were little kids and we’d always ask for a puppy, our mother would say no. And that’s why I have Tabby because she apparently doesn’t mind cats too much.

Even if my mother doesn’t mind, I probably couldn’t bring Sawyer here anyway. These past few days, Wyatt’s been bringing Henley and Sammy over here a lot more. Ever since Mason and I went to the amusement park together, they’ve been here like, four different times. I mean, I don’t it though—  aside from the crying that Henley does—  because they’re both so cute and Sammy is just so adorably shy and Henley’s just such an amazing little baby and I love it.

“Yeah,” I sigh in response to Clark’s question. “Mason has to be in L.A. by like, 6 p.m., California time, because that’s when the premiere for Maybe You starts,” I explain. “And considering the fact that he’s like, the main guy in there, he can’t miss it,” I sigh.

“Aw, poor you,” Clark replies in faux sympathy. “I mean, like, why don’t you just go to L.A. with him?” She suggests after a second.

“Go to California with him? Oh my gosh, Clark, that’s such a beautiful idea and if I didn’t have a witch for a mom, it’d work.” I sigh.

“You sure are sigh-y today,” Clark notes. “Well, how long is he gonna be gone?  Do you know?”

“I don’t,” I deny, shaking my head even though she can’t see me. “He doesn’t even know but he says it shouldn’t be that long.”

“Then that’s good,” She retorts. “So, you guys never told your parents about the whole dating thing?” Clark asks me randomly.

“Nope,” I say, popping the ‘p’. “We will, you know, eventually, but we haven’t yet. I mean, we were supposed to be going on our first date before he went back to L.A. but then my mom decided to take a stupid surprise vacation from work so now she’s been at home all day every day and I can’t exactly sneak out while she’s in the house. So, I think we’ll probably just tell them when he gets back home,” I explain to Clark in one breath.