Chapter 27- That Was Enough To Make Me Feel Infinite

Transitions in life are usually marked by major events— birthdays, graduations, weddings— but the greater transitions often come out of smaller moments when we stop and look at who we are, because each time we see how far we’ve come, we also see how far we still have to go in order to truly transform ourselves of everything we’re holding onto to send us down on our new path— the right one. But if at the end you find the person you’ve become is not the person you want to be, you can always turn around and try again. And maybe next time, you won’t be so alone when it’s over.” —  Gossip Girl

“Aria!” Clark exclaims, running into my bedroom and jumping up and down on my bed excitedly.

“Clark, quit it!” I demand grumpily, blindly raising my hand and swatting my best friend’s leg.

“No, get up!” She refutes, still jumping around on my bed like the deranged crazy person that she is.

“Why?” I whine in complaint, peeking my eyes open slightly and glancing over at my clock, seeing that it’s not even 8 in the morning and that’s just way too early for Clark to wake me up.

“It’s your birthday, stupid,” She reminds me with a laugh. “And it’s also the first day back at school, so you gotta get up,” Clark informs me, not relenting with her jumping.

Exactly—  it’s my birthday, so I should be allowed to sleep as long as I please,” I respond.

“Well, I don’t make the rules, sister, now come on, get up,” Clark replies before jumping down off of my bed and landing, I assume, on her feet with a thud.

“No, I’m not going to do it and you cannot make me,” I grouchily tell my best friend, snuggling back up underneath my covers and closing my eyes shut once again.

“Okay,” Clark appeases me in a singsong voice. “Don’t say I didn’t try to do this the easy way,” She vaguely adds before skipping out of the room, closing the door behind her lightly. I roll over in my bed once my friend is gone and sigh loudly, trying to get back to sleep.

I’m kind of curious as to what she’s up to because Clark is pretty weird at times, in case you couldn’t tell, which I’m sure you could, but still. Birthdays have never really been that big a deal to me because it’s just another year closer to death in my opinion but I feel like there are two birthdays that everyone gets a least a little bit excited about—  eighteen and twenty-one.

Obviously, today I’m eighteen, so that’s pretty cool. For one main reason: I can do whatever I want (you know, aside from drink and kill people) and I no longer have to listen to my mother’s stupid mouth when she tries to tell me what to do. Then there’s twenty-one, which I assume people get excited about because of the fact that they can drink and do basically anything else they want (you know, aside from kill people and sleep with minors).

The door flings back open but since I’m trying to get back to sleep, I don’t roll over to see who it even is. Like I said, it’s not even 8 o’clock yet and I’m not waking up this early. I just will not. A few days ago, just after the New Year, my parents had to leave town to go to a health benefit gala for ALS or something like that and the gala was a few towns over, so they stayed there and they just go back this morning, I think. At least, they were supposed to. Obviously I haven’t left my room yet this morning so I can’t be for sure. But anyway, since they were gone, they obviously we’re here last night. Same with Caleb and Wyatt, they went to their friend’s house because the was having a party or something last night but I’m sure they’re back by now as well.