Chapter 3

Fingers typed furiously over the keys in the dark room. Tanner sat curled up in Dan's 'crease' Staring intently at the screen. The inspiration had hit her suddenly; it was such a popular topic nowadays, and it fit perfectly with her channel. She just needed something different. Something that was just her, that nobody else had. That's when it hit her.

The idea had come to her at 3 am. She couldn't sleep because Mackenzie had stayed up late panicking about how over the fact that their apartment would be another month. Dan and Phil, of course, insisted it was fine, but Zie felt like they were overstaying their welcome. Needless to say this left Tanner up at 3 am. She had waited until Dan's pacing had stopped. Then she snuck into the lounge and had downloaded Tor. She spent the next few hours browsing sites that were reminiscent of the silk road. It was amazing that people were so bold as to sell drugs over the internet, or that anyone would be stupid enough to buy it. Still, she knew the extent people could go to protect themselves. She also knew she had to be very careful of what she clicked. One wrong click could take her to take her to something her didn't' want to see.

"Have you been up all night?" Mackenzie's voice wafted from the doorway.

"What?" Tanner asked glancing at the time. "Oh yeah, I guess I have."

"Doing?" The brunet walked towards Tanner who shut the laptop.

"Research for my channel." A yawn escaped her lips. "I should get a few hours of sleep."

"Maybe." Came the other girl's response.

Tanner gathered her belongings and padded out of the room to the guest room she was sharing with Mackenzie. She sat the laptop on the desk and curled up on the bed drifting asleep.

Meanwhile, Mackenzie shrugged off Tanner's odd behavior because Tanner was naturally odd. And Mackenzie figured whatever her friend had been up to she probably didn't want to know anyways.

An hour later Phil popped in with a cup of coffee. "Morning!" Her quipped.

Mackenzie smiled looking up from the Television. "Morning Sunshine."

Phil plopped next to her and took a long swig of the coffee. He stared at the movie Mackenzie was watching as she took the last swig and glanced at his watch. He had a meeting with a friend on a collab they were doing.

"I am gonna be late." He hissed standing up. "I will see you later?"

"I'll just be here silently panicking," Mackenzie answered without looking up.

Phil shook his head and left. Leaving Mackenzie alone until Dan woke up around 1. Dan drug himself in with a bowl of cereal and sat down in his personal crease. He didn't speak just shoveled the food into his mouth. The two sat in silence for a long time before Dan finally took his bowl and Phil's cup to the kitchen. He came back in and patted Zie on the head.

"Stop stressing out. I promise we won't let you sleep on the streets."

Mackenzie looked up giving a slit smile. "I know you won't, but I just want to get settled in."

"How about we go out for the day. Where's Tanner?"

"Sleeping. She went to bed at 9 am."

Dan laughed then grabbed Mackenzie's arm and pulled her up. Reluctantly Mackenzie gave in and turned the tv off. The two bundled up and exited the apartment. They walked in silence for a while enjoying the company of a friend. Finally, they arrived at a small coffee shop.

"Dan....I don't drink coffee..."

"I know it dose something nasty to your tummy... I have seen the video. I also know Hot Chocolate is your substitute. And it just so happened that this place makes the best Hot Cocoa in London." Dan smiled pointing to a booth in the corner.

Mackenzie smiled walking over with their coats and sliding into the corner booth. Music played softly on the speakers, and the place smelled of freshly brewed coffee. Probably Zie's favorite scent. To bed, Coffee was something she couldn't drink. She loved the stuff. Dan stood at the counter ordering and occasionally glancing her way. She finally gave a small wave and he chuckled.

A few moments later he headed over with two giant cups of hot coco as he called it. He sat them down and slid in next to Mackenzie. They sat silently sipping the drink. Dan looked up and laughed.

"What?" Zie asked glancing around. Dan reached over and whipped melted marshmallow off her nose. Accidently staring into her eyes.

Mackenzie blushed and stared down at her cup.

"Up so....What kept Tanner up so late?" He asked trying to take the attention away.

Mackenzie shrugged. "No idea. When I woke up she was staring at her computer like it held the secrets to the universe. Then she Closed it abruptly when I came in and went to bed."

"Should I be worried she's hacking the queen on my internet?"

Mackenzie laughed. "Possibly; if you don't ask you have plausible deniability."

Dan chuckled shaking his head. "Or a prison sentence."

Mackenzie laughed. "She wouldn't let you go down for her. Besides she could argue that she is way smarter than any of us."

"True....she may not look it but inside that tiny brightly colored head is an evil genius. I worry she may corrupt Phil."

Mackenzie laughed, "Don't put anything past her. She will try. She's been trying to corrupt me for years."

"You are to perfect the way you are don't let her ruin you."

Mackenzie let out a shy laugh and blushed once again staring into her cup.

"You have a beautiful smile." Dan finally said, then turned bright red when he realized it had been out loud. "I mean..... mgurflein..." he mumbled.

"What?" Zie asked wrinkling her eyebrows

"Um...nothing it's not important."