Chapter 4

It was a cold day in London. Mackenzie shivered pulling her coat tightly around her body as the wind hit her face. She pulled at the shopping bag as she headed towards Dan and Phil's apartment. Another shiver hit her and she stopped pulling her scarf around her face. That's when she heard what sounded like footsteps coming to an abrupt stop behind her. She slowly turned her head to see a man inspecting a sign. She shrugged and continued walking.

The footsteps started up behind her. She thought nothing of it and turned a corner. The footsteps followed; even when she crossed the street. She picked up speed wanting to hurry, but the footsteps picked up. She was to scared to look behind her. She ran faster feeling her breath catch; her lungs burning.

She reached in her pocket grabbing Dan's keys and fumbling with them almost dropping them, but catching them and ran across the street when she spotted the apartment building. She flicked through the keys looking for the right one, but slipped on a patch of ice and hit the ground hard sliding. She Pushed herself up feeling blood beging to trickle down her leg. She had managed to hold on to the keys though.

The footsteps were close, the man was within sight. She sprinted for the door finding the key and sliding it in and running through the door slamming it right before the man caught up to her. She sat on the bottom step panting. Her head spinning, lungs burning. Why was he chasing her? If she had dropped something or forgotten it he surly would have called to her. She could see him through the frosted glass watching the door. He stepped closer and his hand found the door. He pressed his palm against it.

"Next time Mackenzie... next time." He called just loud enough for her to hear him. She took a deep breath and ran up the stairs.

She exploded through it slamming it shut and locking it. She pressed her back against it trying to catch her breath. She felt the hot sting of tears on her cold face as the tears began to flow. Dan poked his head in the hallway; his eyes finding hers and immediately rushing to her pulling her into a strong hug.

His fingers gently brushed through the trembling girls hair. He held her close letting her gain her composer. Finally, he rested his chin on the top of her head. "What happened/" he asked softly.

"Some guy was following me. When I stopped her stopped, when I ran he ran. He didn't say anything...didn't call out to me." Mackenzie's words were jumbled, but Dan managed to make them out.

He looked down at her whipping the tears away. "You didn't lose anything at the market? Maybe your wallet or phone?" It sounded unlikely even as he spoke the words. Something about it felt wrong. He surly would have called after she had she left something.

Zie took a deep breath shaking her head, "When I got inside I could see him standing right outside the door. Then he put his hand on the glass and him..." A sob escaped her lips.

"He what Zie?"

"he said...next time Mackenzie...next time."

Dan pulled her close once more are the tears fell once more. It made him angry to think someone would get pleasure out of scaring his friend like that. It broke his heart to see her so upset. He could only hold her close and left her sob.

A/N: I am pretty proud of this chapter Even ifit is rather short.