Chapter 16

Air burned hot in his lungs and he ran down the gravel road. There was nothing around him, and he didn't know how far out; or where he was for that matter. Was someone else coming? was the man alone? Phil had no idea, but he wasn't stoping. It didn't matter how badly his legs burned, or how much he wanted to throw up. He was using every ounce of adrenaline he had to get as far away as he could.

No cars had passed by leading him to believe he was in a more rural area then he realised. Still, he had to get away. He fought back the tears that threatened to spill over. He had never felt fear like this before. Every crunch of gravel below his feet, or birds chirping made him believe someone was behind him.

He ran until he couldn't run any longer. He ran until his legs gave out and he collapsed to his knees. He felt himself dry heaving. Then he felt blackness sweep over him, and then nothingness.

Phil woke up hours later. His vision was blurry. His contacts were gone. His body ached, and his head pounded. He let out a soft groan as he strained to see the room around him. A familiar body leant forwards holding out something to him. It took him a moment to realise it was his glasses. He took them and slipped them on.

Looking up tears slid down Phil's cheeks as he gazed up at Dan who had tears of his own streaming down his face. Dan didn't speak, and neither did Phil. the two just hugged. They hugged like only two people with the bond they had could. Dan was his best friend, the best friend he had ever had.

"I thought you were..." Dan choked unable to get the words out.

Phil nodded huggingDan harder. "I got a bit of fight in me."

"Detective Myers is going to want to talk to you," Dan said finally standing up and wiping the tears away.

Phil only nodded letting out a yawn. His eyes feeling heavy once again.

"Myers can wait. You get some rest. I am gonna call the girls and let them know you woke up."

Phil only nodded as he slipped into a rest his body had needed for months.