Chapter 13

It had been a week since the bathroom incident between Dan and Mackenzie. Neither had brought it up.  Dan seemed to become more introverted the more time passed. Phil's disappearance was starting to get to him. He wasn't sure how long he could sit by and do nothing. He needed to get out and find Phil. He didn't know how, but he could no longer stand by and watch. 

Evan stood up and stretched. "I have to check the perimeter. You three stay inside. You understand?" 

The three nodded as Evan stepped outside.  Tanner yawned and stood up excusing herself to one of the two bedrooms. Zie sat silently in a chair in the corner staring at the wall. Dan, on the other hand, stood up and began pacing back and forth as his mind fought with itself. He needed to help Phil, but was leaving the right choice? Was he thinking clearly? He took a deep breath and walked over to the door reaching out for the handle. 

"What are you doing? Evan said to stay inside." Came Mackenzie's voice. 

"I don't give a shit what he says. I need to find my best friend." Dan hissed not bothering to look at her. 

Mackenzie took a deep breath not as bothered by Dan's harsh tone as she had been the first few times he used it. He was stressed and upset she go that. He wasn't the only one, however, and she was starting to get pissed off at his bad attitude. 

"Where are you going to go to do that exactly? How are you going to find him?" Mackenzie stood up and walked across the room stopping beside Dan. 

Dan turned and glared at her. " I will start with the train station."

"So you think you will spot something the police missed?"

Dan gritted his teeth together and shook his head at her. "What do you expect me to do?" His voice rising. "my best friend is gone because of the two of you!" 

Mackenzie felt the hot tears well up in her eyes. She took a step back nodding her head.  Dan's temper began to subside as he realized what he had said. He could see the hurt in her eyes, and he regretted saying it. 

"Zie I am sorry! I didn't mean to..."

"Yes, you did. You have been thinking it for weeks. I can see it in the way you avoid us. None of this would have happened if we hadn't come to stay with you." Mackenzie took another step back fighting the tears. 

"Zie I am just upset."  Dan stepped forward reaching out for Mackenzie.

Mackenzie took another step back shaking her head at him. "Since we ruined your life you won't have to worry about me anymore. I will just keep my distance. I can't ruin your life if I am not in it now can I."  Mackenzie turned to walk out of the room but felt Dan's arms wrap around her waist and pull her back against him. 

"I am so sorry Zie I swear I didn't mean that. I am speaking out of anger. I can't lose you too. I am so sorry I have been pushing you away. " 

Zie nodded slowly. She felt the tears threatening to spill over. She wouldn't cry though. She would hold it in this time. She wouldn't give in to it this time. She just let Dan hold her from behind. His face burried in her hair desprate for her to forgive him.