Chapter 15

Another two weeks passed, and like Myers had said they moved every three days.  The longer time passed the worse Tanner felt. it was her fault Phil was missing. She had done this, and she knew it. If she had stayed off the Deep Web none of this would have happened. She felt the guilt seeping into her heart, and it was almost unbearable. She had begun to keep to herself not interacting with anyone. Not even Mackenzie. 

Dan was hot and cold. One minute he couldn't get close enough to Zie, the next he was quiet or angry. He was full of a mixture of emotions he could not explain. Not knowing what happened to Phil was killing him. The longer he waited for the more he wanted to disappear and look for him himself. 

Mackenzie, on the other hand, was had become the strong one. Nobody would have ever guessed that out of the three of them she would be the most composed. She refused to let either push her away. At times she would just sit with one of them; at other times she would let them scream at her and blame her. She had begun to realise that is was grief and worry that was motivating them. If they needed to release those emotions she would allow them to be on her. She needed to be strong right now. She had learned to bury her emotions so that she could be Dan and Tanner's rock. 

Today was a particularly hard day. Dan had been mad at the world today. He blamed everyone for everything. He wanted nothing to do with anyone. Zie had never seen him act this way. She knew it was really getting to him. He was becoming unpredictable. He had just got done chewing out Evan when he punched the wall. Cutting his hand once again. He cursed as the blood began to seep out of the wound. Evan only sighed, and handed Mackenzie the first aid kit, then excused himself to check the perimeter. 

Zie led Dan to the bathroom and began tending to his wounds. His breath was labored, his eyes glazed over in anger. Mackenzie shook her head and looked at him. 

"What?" He hissed. 

"You keep punching walls you are gonna scar." She answered forcing the words out kind. She didn't want to start another fight. It would only push him further away. 

Dan watched her closely as she cleaned his hand. He grunted and licked his dry lips. "Why aren't you more upset about this whole thing? It's like you don't care Phil has been missing for a month."

Zie fought the urge to roll her eyes at him, "You really think I don't care about Phil?"

"Then why are you so emotionless?"  He asked. 

Mackenzie took a deep breath, "Someone has to be the rock. I adore Phil, but the two of you have a deeper connection with him. If you need someone to vent to then use me. I can take it. "

Dan was quiet a moment watching her wrap the bandage around his hand. When she was finished she put everything back into the first aid kit and turned to leave. He reached out grabbing her waist and pulling her against him. She could feel his hot breath on her neck. 

"You can't bottle all that emotion up forever. Eventually, it will spill over. " 

Zie shrugged and pulled away from him. "I can bottle it up as long as you and Tanner need me to be strong for you. As long as you both are hurting this much I will bury it all.

Meanwhile, Phil laid in his cell motionless. His breathing shallow. His captor had come five times to get the tray, and each time was met with no response. This time he opened the cell door and peered inside seeing Phil lying on the floor. He pulled something out of his pocket and stepped inside. 

"I have a taser, and I will use it if you try anything," came a male voice that sounded as if something was covering it. 

The man cautiously walked closed and kicked Phil. There was no response. He leaned down examined Phil closely then cursed under his breath. He scooped Phil up effortlessly and carried him out of the room, and down a long hallway. Finally pushing a door open with his foot, and walking inside laying Phil down on what seemed to be a table. The mane stood there a moment then turned and left. Phil could hear the door locking and sat up when the footsteps got faint.

Phil examined the room. He needed a weapon of some sort and a plan. He spotted a rusted pipe sticking out of the wall. His gaze continued around the room. He spotted a cast iron skillet. He sighed grabbing the skillet and climbing back onto the table hiding the skillet under him as best he could. Then he waited. 

It wasn't long before the man came back. The sound of the door unlocking could be heard. Phil concentrated on his shallow breaths. The man walked towards Phil examining him. Phil could feel his pulse begin to race as he expected him to notice the skillet, but the man turned and walked towards the counter. Phil opened on eyes and watched the man. Phil wasn't sure what he was doing, but when he started turn Phil closed his eyes only leaving one barely opened. The man approached the table as he got to the end Phil kicked him with all his strength causing him so stumble back. Phil jumped off the table cracking the guy in the head, then the knees, then his tender region. The man gasped for air. Phil took a step back watching him a moment. Then the man lunged for Phil, but Phil cracked him in the head once more, then shoved him backward with all his might. The man stumbled tripping and landing on the pipe. He gasped once more, blood trickling out of the corners of his mouth, his eyes widening.  

Phil took a deep breath watching the man closely. He cautiously stepped forward carefully checking the man's pockets. The man gasped and tried to reach for Phil, but the pain was evident when he moved. The pipe was the only thing keeping him from bleeding out. Phil found the man's keys and pulled them out of his pocket. Phil stepped back looking at him one more time then sprinting out of the room and down the hallway. 

He twisted and turned down corridors that seemed more like a labyrinth than hallways. It seemed like it to hours, but finally, Phil found a door. It was locked, and Phil fumbled with the keys dropping them a few times, but finally finding the right one. He pushed the door open and sunlight poured through. Phil stumbled out and into the warm spring air.