Chapter 1

Thirty seconds.

Only thirty seconds left of making a fool out of myself. I breathed in another huge breath, and kept running around the track. Of course, I was the last one. Everyone was standing by our gym teacher, by the time I finished my lap. My best friend Clary was already standing there, looking at me sympathetically.

Clary and I had been best friends since the eighth grade. She had the reddest hair in the world, and very green eyes. She didn't seem like it, but she was very good at sports, whereas I was more skilled in academics. We were both in senior year, and I couldn't wait to leave this school.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" Clary said.

"It was horrible." I said, out of breath. "I hate running."

We all then walked back into the gym, and our teacher told us we would be playing volleyball. I internally groaned, I sucked at volleyball. Just as he was explaining the gym door opened, and I stared. There was Will Herondale, the boy I had been love with for five years.

He was wearing all black, that's usually all he ever wore, occasionally he wore a white t-shirt. His black hair was messy, but it still looked good. His blue eyes were amused, and bright. Will was the baddest boy at my school. He was with a different girl everyday, and was always partying and getting drunk. All the girls loved him. I had never talked him before, but we had made eye contact three times before. I had counted.

"Decided to join to us, Herondale?" My teacher said coldly.

"Against my better judgement." He said amusedly.

All the girls eyes followed him as he came to join us, and he winked at them. I sighed, he was perfect. He was my wish at 11:11 every time. There weren't enough words to say how much I wanted to be with him. I sighed to myself, but there was no way that would ever happen. We all set up the nets, and started to play. Clary and I were on the same time, and by some miracle so was Will. I felt my palms start to sweat.

Clary served the ball, and the other team hit it back. I managed about ten minutes without touching the volleyball, but then it came rushing to me. I bumped it, only it didn't go over the net. It hit Will square in the back. He whipped around and looked at me. My eyes widened with horror  and I must've turned very very red.

"You hit me." Will said, amused.

"I-I-I'm really sorry, I'm really bad at volleyball." I said, rushed.

He only looked at it me, very amusedly. Why is he so entertained? I thought.

"It's alright, Theresa." Will winked.

"Um, it's Tessa." I said.

"I know." He smirked, and turned back around.

I stood there, stunned. He knew my name. He knew my name. How did he know my name? Gym ended soon, and then it was lunch. I sat at a table with Clary and Simon, our best friend. I was telling him about Will.

"And he knew my name!" I exclaimed.

Simon and Clary chuckled, and my eyes went the cafeteria doors. Will walked in, his arm around Tatiana Lightwood, one of the most popular girls at my school. They were followed by Cecily, Will's twin sister, and Gabriel Lightwood her boyfriend. Finally, came Jace Herondale, Alec Lightwood, and Isabelle Lightwood. Jace was Will and Cecily's cousin, and Alec and Isabelle were siblings, and they were Gabriel and Tatiana's cousins. Confusing? I know.

My eyes followed Will. He looked so happy to be beside Tatiana. His blue eyes were radiant, and he smiled at her. I felt jealousy go through me like wild fire. Why did he like her? She was so fake and mean. She was pretty, but that was it. They weren't dating, exactly, they just liked to mess around with each other, if you get what I mean.

"Why does he like her?" I said bitterly.

"Everyone likes her." Clary said, distractedly.

She was staring at Jace. She had had a crush on him for almost as long as I had liked Will. Simon, was staring at Isabelle. He'd liked her for a long time, too. I sighed, we were all crushing on people we could never have. It was tragic, really. Unrequited love was one of the worst pains out there. Will and his friends all took their seats, and I finally tore my eyes off him. Simon and Clary turned back around to me.

"Hey, I have a gig tomorrow night at Java Jones, you two should come." Simon said.

"Sure." I said, and Clary agreed also.

The rest of lunch went by quickly, and Clary and I went to our lockers to get out books. Simon was with his friend Eric. I got my books, while Clary was talking me, and suddenly I backed right into someone.

"Oh, I'm sorry I--" I froze.

I looked up into the bluest eyes I had ever seen.

"You really want to injure me today, don't you?" Will said amusedly.

I was speechless for a moment. I noticed that Jace had sidled up next to him. He was giving Clary a foreign look.

"I--I'm not trying to hurt you, it was, um, an accident." I said awkwardly.

God, why was I so freaking awkward?! I sounded like an idiot. Will smirked at me.

"Don't worry about it. I'll see you later." He smirked at me, and then him and Jace walked away. 

"Oh. My. Gosh. Why did he say he'd see you later?!" Clary exclaimed.

"I--I don't know." I said, still shocked.

"Tessa! That was huge!" She said.

I snapped out of my daze, and turned to face her. "Jace was staring at you."

She blushed. "I know."

I only sighed and shut my locker. I still couldn't believe that that had just happened. He was so charming, and I loved it. He was bad, though. Really bad. I knew that I shouldn't love him, but as hard as I tried, I never could stop.