Chapter 44

TWO YEARS LATER

I walked through the crowded streets of New York, quickly. God, it felt like everyday there were a thousand more people. I zipped up my jacket up a bit, and shivered. I never got to used to the cold here. Clary and I moved here after graduation, which had been two years ago. Clary had got accepted into an art school, and I had been accepted into a writing school.

Everyone else was still back in London. Clary and I still talked to Izzy and Cecily daily, and it felt as if we weren't even apart. Everyday without Will still felt as if my body was tearing apart, but I was starting to recover. Though, he would never leave my heart. I hadn't even been interested in someone after his death, and I feared that I never would be.

I walked into the Starbucks, and found a familiar redhead sitting at one of the tables. Clary and Jace were still together, and he came to visit her every few weeks. He was studying to become a doctor, if you can believe it. Cecily and Isabelle had been picked up by a modelling agency, and were travelling the world. Alec was going to university to become a lawyer, which we had all found shocking, but we were all happy for him. He was still with Magnus. And Simon, well he was travelling the world with his band. They had had major success, and they were touring all the time. Him and Izzy were still together, and so was Cecily and Gabriel.

"Hey." I smiled at Clary.

"Hey, how was work?" She asked.

I was doing an internship at one of the major publishing companies.

"Good, how was school?" I asked her.

Clary beamed. "Great! My professor said one of my pieces is going to be in one of the upcoming galleries!"

"That's great! Your mom must be so proud." I grinned.

"She was." Clary chuckled.

"Have you talked to Izzy or Cecy, today?" I asked casually.

She nodded. "They're both in LA, so Cecily said they can probably come visit us next week."

I smiled. "Yay! It's been forever since we've seen them."

Just then, a boy walked into the Starbucks. He had dark hair, and light eyes, and I was painfully reminded of Will.

"He's hot." Clary observed. "You should--"

"I'm not getting his number, Clary." I said to her.

She sighed, and I frowned. Ever since last year, she had been trying to get me to go out with someone. I couldn't. I just couldn't move on from Will.

"Do you think Will would want this?" She asked softly.

"No, he always wanted the best for me." I said sadly. "But, I just can't Clary."

She sighed. "I understand."

She then changed the subject, and I was grateful. We talked for about an hour, and then we decided to go home. We were roommates.

"I'm going to get a book from the book store next door." I told her. "I'll meet you at home."

We then parted ways, and I walked into the book store. I instantly smiled, this was my most favourite place in the world. I walked to the classics, and browsed through the books. I looked at a "A Tale of Two Cities". I had lost my last copy. After about ten minutes, I had a stack of books in my hands. One of them fell, and I swore. Someone then leaned down and picked up the book, and handed it to me.

"Thanks, I'm so clum--" I stopped, and dropped the entire stack.

I faced a pair of blue eyes. The bluest eyes I had ever remembered seeing. Bluer than the ocean, and the sky combined. Blue eyes that would never get out of my head.

"Will?" I whispered.

"Tess?" He whispered.

At his voice, I almost collapsed. This couldn't be happening. He was wearing jeans, and a black coat. His face was the same as ever, and as breathtakingly beautiful. I was imagining this. Will was dead.

"But you're dead. You can't be here." I whispered in shock.

"I'm not dead, Tessa. I never was." Will said softly.

I stared at him in shock. He moved forward, and somehow I was in his arms. To feel his touch again, the electricity was so strong, that I almost fainted in his arms. He then took my hand, and lead me to a table. I shakily took a seat across from him.

"How the hell are you here?" I whispered.

"I was never dead." Will started. "I was such a mess. I had too many memories of Ella, that I had to leave. After the accident my parents thought I should have fresh start somewhere new. That included leaving everyone behind. So, I faked my death, and moved here."

I only stared at him, shocked.

"It had taken me some time to agree, but I knew that it was best. I knew I would see Cecily and Jace and the rest of family, and I could live without seeing everyone else. You were the only thing I couldn't leave. It killed me to leave you." He whispered.

"You don't know how many times I wanted to call you, Tessa. I would lay awake at night, crying, because I couldn't talk to you. I wished everyday that I could tell you that I wasn't actually dead, but I knew you were better off without me." Will said painfully.

"Who--who else knows you're still alive?" I stuttered.

"My parents, Cecily, and Jace." He replied. "They both found out after my funeral, they swore they wouldn't tell anyone."

I didn't even feel angry. I felt too relieved to be angry. Here he was. Will Herondale. The boy I had been in love with for almost all of my life. The boy who I had thought was dead. He was here.

"You have no idea how much I missed you." I said, and a tear ran down my cheek. "I still have your letter."

He looked surprised. "You do?"

"Of course I do. I love you, too." I smiled through the tears.

He smiled, and then he started to catch me up on his life. He was attending NYU and he was becoming a writer just like me. He had lived here since the accident, at first with his aunt, but now by himself. He had made a bunch of friends, but he hadn't dated anyone since the accident.

"Why haven't you dated anyone?" I asked.

"You know that I only belong to you, Tess." Will said softly.

I blushed, and I sighed. "I'm so happy that you're alive."

He smiled. "We should start fresh."

"What do you mean?" I raised an eyebrow.

He stuck out his hand, cheekily. "Nice to meet you, I'm Will Herondale."

I laughed, he never changed. I shook his hand.

"I'm Tessa Gray."

He grinned at me, and I smiled back. Yes, I thought, I was right to never move on.