Six

I plop down down on the ground as graceful as I can, meaning I fall. I'm tired. My mind. My body. Everything.

I smile as Prince lays down beside me, flicking his tail back and forth, eyeing everyone up like a guard. A souls heart. It's weird saying it. Feeling the bond. It's cool too. I've always wanted a pet.

I slide my hand across my forehead again. I'm sweating like a siv in this wool cloak. I leave it on even though I just wanna burn the dang thing. Quinn covered me up for a reason. I'll half to flag him down and see if I can discard it.

Looking around I see the guards, I guess that's what they are, taking off their bags and rummage through them. Some looks to be pulling out food while others have some type of sack tipping them up into their mouths. Water maybe?.

When one of the leather clad guards starts heading my way, I sit up straight- feeling my heart skip a beat. Prince raises his head. I guess since he isn't growl I'm safe. But the fear is still there. I'm in a strange fantasy world come real, around people I don't know. I'll always have that fear.

The guard, he's maybe my age with brown hair and bright hazel eyes. He sorta looks like Quinn. He bends down in front of me, an arms length a ways.

I lock my muscles up to keep from flinching. Mum said 'Never show fear even if you can feel it.' That's what I'm gonna do.

"So." His slim eyebrows go up, " You thirsty?"

I nod and eye the sack in his hand.

"It's water." He flashes me a smile with dimples as he hands over the sack thing.

He's cute.

I uncorked it and gulp down the luke warm water. God, I was thirsty.

I hand it back while I mumble, "Thanks."

"Yeah, No problem. I'm Leon and you would be?" He flashes that dimple smile again. I find myself smiling in return. Those dimples. Dang. So cute.

"Basil."

He gives a little chuckle, "Nice to meet you Basil." He turns his head up to the sky and closes those twinkling eyes.

My cheeks burn red as I look him over more.

He's muscular with a swimmers body. He has the same leather vest and pants as the others just without the mystery lines. My eyes roam down his tan arm. No mystery lines there either.

Curiosity winning out, "What's up with those swirls?"

"Swirls?" Confusion is written on his face.

"Yeah, swirls. Those twisty lines on some of the others."

"Ohh. Those are Runes." He's back to the tipped head, eyes closed.

Runes. Like I know what that is. And why are some red and others are bluish-purple?

"And runes would be..?" A slight irritation rides my voice.

He frowns, "They signify your power level and your Gen."

I give him my famous what the carp look. I don't know what any of that means. It's not like I'm from this place. When I find Quinn, I'll ask for a book or something to help me understand all of this bizarre crap. Power level?. Does that mean these people have power.? Ahh. I'm so freakin lost.

Colors. Maybe he can explain what the colors mean. I'm about to ask when Prince springs up scaring the piss out of me and making it worse as he starts a low growl deep in his throat, looking at the forked paths.

I scurry up to stand beside Prince. Well, not beside him it's more like behind him. Whatever he's growling at I rather have the nine hundred some pound cat between it and me.

Leon stands a little in front of me and off to the side. It's not long before Quinn pops up on my right with Wer adding his own growls and the rest of the guards surrounding us.

I tug a hold of Quinn's hand. I may not completely trust him but considering he's been a constant thing since the caves it's all I have.

"What's happening?" I whisper out not letting the fear ride my voice, but failing. Something's coming and no one thinks it's a good thing.

Giving me an understanding look Quinn replies, " Your safe. I won't let anything happen to you."

Yeah ok. Obviously he hears the fear in my voice. Sees it in my eyes and still didn't answer my question. What's with these people and never answering questions. It's starting to bit at me.

I about to voice my question when I feel a vibe go through the group and see the guys tense up.

Uh. Oh.

Turing my head to the path, I start to see figures coming around the bend.

I squint my eyes. A group of five guys decked out in slate grey vests and pants. What's with the leather clothes? They also have a lighter grey shirt under the vests. All the clothes from their boots to their shirts are in various shades of grey. Maybe it some kind of club.

"What ya hiding there Quinny?" Comes a smooth voice with a dark edge to it. My knees go weak. That's not good.

I stand up on my tip-toes and whisper, "Quinny." I can't help it. It's funny.

I peer in between Quinn and Leon and zone onto the devilish looking man in the middle.

He has almost white hair falling into his silver eyes. He has a strong smooth jaw and he is chiseled. His tight vest showing of the contours of his chest and abs quite well. He's not the tallest of the group but I'd say my head would reach his chin. He's what people would call a pretty boy. He could use a hair cut though.

Quinn moves to the side blocking my view of the gorgeous guy.

"Not your concern Derrick." Quinn snaps.

"Now now. That's no way to talk to your friend. Is it?" Derrick says softly, to softly. I don't think he's using the term friend the way it means.

"We're hired guards. Now if you will, move along."

I drill my eyes into the back of Quinn's head. Hired guards my ass. I didn't hire them. This is all Quinn and he doesn't want this Derrick to know of me or why I have guards. To bad Quinn won't tell him cause I would also like to know.

I hear the soft tread of feet growing louder. They're moving closer making me nervously bounce on my feet. Wer lets out a growl. But oddly enough Prince doesn't make a sound.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~¿¿¿~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for taking the time to read. I hope you enjoyed Chapter Six as much as I did writing it.

I value your thoughts and feelings. Comment please. And vote. It gets my small piece of world out there to other readers. Once again thank you :) Oh, and don't forget to follow me for future updates if you like what I have so far. :)