One

"Up. Basil get up now." My mom's harsh voice comes from above me, cutting into my sleep followed by her hands shaking my shoulders.

I let out a groan and turn my head to the right. The bright green numbers on my alarm clock reads 1:00 am. I blink my eyes a couple of times. Yep still there. Greeeaaat.

"Basil. Get up and put a pair of shoes on. Now!"

I so do not want to get out of my comfy warm bed, but I should be use to this carp by now. My mom's a little paranoid. As far back as I can remember she does this to me once a week. Rush in here like a crazy person. Gets me up. So we can practice her so called escape route. Why I have no idea. Like I said she's a little paranoid. What I don't understand it that we've already done this already. It's a weekly thing.

I get up and do as she says. I've learned the hard way, a bucket of cold ass water dumped on my head the hard way.

When my bare feet touch the hard wood flood I get a full body shiver all over and start venting my dislike for this whole ordeal. But not to much. Remembering the water.

"Mom what's going on?" I slip my tennis shoes on. "We've already did this. Plus I'm freakin sleepy and have a test first block."

My words go thorough one ear and out the other as she grabs my hand and drags me down the stairs speaking at the same time.

"They found us. Listen to me carefully, if we get separated at anytime, I need you to run and run fast as you can the the meadow at the edge to the old giant oak." She hands me her necklace as we go running out the back door.

I grip it in my right fist. My knuckles turing white. Prayin my heart won't beat out of my chest. Hoping the pain in my hand will ground me through all this craziness.

They found us. Who is she talking about. She's finally flipped her lid and scaring the carp out of me.

"Mom what's going on? Who found us?" I ask with fear lacing my tone and a sickness in my belly.

She snaps back, " Listen. Take my pendent and slam it in the middle of the old oak. When you get to the other side I need you to say 'Custodia. Advoco Ignis Dux ducis', Do not say anything else. Understand?"

Well this part is new.

"No not ok. What is going on? What other side?" She's crazy. I yell and jerk my sweaty hand out of hers. We're at the edge of the yard just a few feet away is the lush forest.

Her mouth opens, when a noise from the house causes her to close it making both of us spin around facing the back side of the house.

It feels like my heart jumps out of my chest. Saliva pools in my mouth as I hear muffled voices and stomping feet. She's not paranoid after all. She knew this was coming and our weekly runs through the woods actually meant something. Everything meant something.

She grabs my hand again and starts pulling me through the trees. I think my legs forgot how to move.

"Basil baby listen. You need do do as I said. They can't find you. After you say those words a man will come, he'll be in armor and have either red, blue, or purple on him, somewhere. Once he gets there you need to say, 'Expeto Ignis Eligere' ."

"What does that even mean?!" I screech out already pass my crazy limit as tears start their track down my cheeks.

"I'm your Cutos. I half to protect you and I want you to know that I love you with all of my heart. Sorry I never taught you every thing you needed to know." She says with tears streaming down her face.

This is bad. Really bad.

God's, I don't know what she's talking about. Other than this time it's real and we're in danger. With that running through my mind, my pulse speeds up, my legs move faster, my breathing harder.