Chapter 2: Where we stand (E)

Chapter 2

I unlocked the door to my house to hear pop music playing in the living room. I smiled widely as I heard my Aunt’s voice. She was singing along to the song; I silently locked the door and dropped my bag, well… it wasn't silent, seeing as the music is fully blasting throughout the house and I’m sure our new neighbors are crying.

I entered the kitchen to see her dancing in her shorts and tank top to Avril Lavigne’s ‘Girlfriend.' She's singing at the top of her lungs while making cookies. I tip-toed behind her and whispered in her ear, ‘boo.’ I’m guessing she heard it. She jumped into the air, spinning around and holding her chest as I laughed loudly, smirking as she glared at me and then smiled.

“You’re home!” She said, hugging me tightly. I nodded, hugging her back.

“How was the flight?” I asked, raising an eyebrow as I shed my jacket after we departed from our hugs. She sighed, obviously annoyed.

“It was terrible! Do you know how hard it is to find a last minute flight on a Friday? I’m sorry that you were alone Wednesday and yesterday. I had to work. On a lighter note; how was school?” She asked, handing me a mixer as she sat herself on the counter and I pulled up a stool. Sitting on the counter would get me grounded for life if my parents were here. Besides… we eat there. Note to self: Disinfect the counter tops.

“It was… odd.” I said, nodding as she turned off the music. She looked at me with a confused expression. She raised an eyebrow, urging me to continue.

“Well, there’s this guy-.” I began to say but she cut me off, squealing in excitement. She smiled widely, giggling excitedly.

“For all you know, I could’ve ended that sentence with ‘that wants to kill me.’” I stated, crossing my arms and giving her a flat look.

"Sorry.” She apologized, smiling sheepishly. “I’m just excited to hear about guys again! I remember High School.” She said, sighing before looking at me again.

“Well, I don’t even know this guy.” I said, shrugging. “But I catch him staring at me and looking at me, but not that ‘I like you’ looking at me, it’s that ‘I’m a creep’ looking at you.” 

"Well, who is he?” She asked, furrowing her eyebrows, attempting to decipher the mystery that is Adrian Easton.

“He’s Adrian Easton.” I stated, earning another encouraging glance from her. “And from what I hear from Jessie, is that he is, well, Adrian Easton. But he’s a bad boy; he seems like a trouble maker- like he’s bad news.” I replied, biting my lip. Instead of giving a disapproving look towards me like I’d expected her to do; she smirked and wriggled her eyebrows.

“So… you got a thing for bad boys?” She asked, smirking. I sighed, rolling my eyes and shaking my head.

“No, I don’t. He’s intimidating. He honestly scares me.” I whispered, not liking the fact of having to admit something like that. The last thing I wanted to be labeled as was a punk, seeing as I already categorize under nerd, loser, loner and geek.

“Is he hot?” My 28 year old Aunt asked, acting as if she’s 17. I smirked, rolling my eyes but bit my lip as I nodded. A blush formed on my cheeks as she giggled and pointed at me.

“On a scale of one to ten, how hot is he?” She asked me. She had her arms crossed over her chest.

“10,” I said, nodding. “He’s mysterious and it’s so attractive but it’s so scary at the same time, you know? I mean, he doesn’t look like he’s a serial killer but serial killers don’t always give off that ‘Yo, I have bodies in my basement’ look either.” I admitted.