Chapter 12: Drowning (E)

Chapter 12

“Hello?” My voice rang through the phone. I was greeted with a loud voice.

“Fiona! What’s wrong with you?” My mother’s scolding shocked me slightly. I felt my stomach drop to my ankles. Did Aunt Cherry get home early and resort to calling my parents first? Did my parents install that tracking device that they’ve threatened me with into my phone?

“W-what do you mean?” I stuttered stupidly. I gave Jessie a look and her eyes widened. She knew about the mess I was in.

“Where are you?” My mother demanded. I felt my blood run cold. I covered my other ear in an attempt to focus better.

“I’m in my room, why?” I lied. If she already knew that I wasn’t, I’d be in even bigger trouble.

“We’ve been calling the house phone for hours on end!” My mother scolded and I felt relief rise into my chest.

“You didn’t think to call my cell phone?” I let the sarcastic remark slip.

“Hey!” I recognized the angry voice of Adrian sounding across the shore. I quickly held my finger up as if to silence him but Jessie was on it. She leaped off of the mini deck and shushed Adrian.

“Who is that? Is there a guy in your room?” My mother asked. I heard a shuffling and my father’s voice now occupied the line.

“What is she talking about? There better not be any guys in your room!” My father exclaimed.

“No, no, Dad. That was the television.” I tried to calm him.

"Well, mute the TV. We need to talk,” He demanded. 

"I'm trying." I muttered as I watched Jessie and Adrian whispering. Adrian caught my gaze with a glare. I smiled sheepishly before imitating the sound of a button.

“I got a call from your viola teacher. You’ve been skipping these past few lessons. We pay $200.00 per lesson, just so you know, and we expect you to go to each and every one of them.” He stated. I felt like I was being scolded by the principal as I nodded before replying.

“I know, I’ve just been up late working on homework on Friday nights that sometimes I’m too tired in the morning and I oversleep. And Aunt Cherry doesn’t always wake me up on time.” I informed. I heard him muttering something before he quickly began ending the conversation.

“Well, you should get to bed. It’s late, 11 o’clock almost. Your mother and I will be home next Monday, okay? Love you, honey.” My father said, ending the call. I exited the conversation before I sighed in relief.

I looked over at Adrian who looked infuriated. I felt a smile rising onto my face as I lowered myself off of the dock. His eyes followed me as fume shot out of his ears, not literally. That’d be a health concern, wouldn’t it?

“Now, now, Easton; don’t have a crappy attitude with me.” I teased, making an obvious pun. His eyes narrowed as he starting approaching me.

“You’re dead.” He hissed as he lowered his head. I smirked again.

“No, Easton, I’m pretty sure I’m alive. I have a pulse and everything.” I blinked, pretending to check my pulse.

“Not when I’m done with you.” He continued, walking towards me slowly.

For every step he took, I took two backwards. I spared a glance at Jessie who was smiling for some unknown reason and pointed towards the bonfire and I gave her a swift nod. This confused Easton so he dared to look back and in that moment when his head was I turned, I bolted in the opposite direction. Instead of going towards the bonfire, I was running away from it. I was planning on circling the whole entire bonfire section of the beach before meeting up with Jessie. I was setting myself up for failure.