Chapter 19: Troy & Gabriela- Adrian & Fiona- Not

Chapter 19

It was already October and the air was getting chillier as we speak. Most people were worrying about who was setting up what for the Halloween dance. Our school was even going as far as to make a Haunted House and everything.

I was worried about other things. For example, the dinner that my parents and I are having with Adrian’s family, plenty of dinner parties that I’m forced to attend, how I’m going to face everyone today at school, and what excuse I’m going to be using to get out of the dance.

I entered the school slowly, my hands tightened around the straps of my school bag. I felt people’s gazes on me the entire time I was walking around. The usual 2 minute walk through the school and to my locker turned out to be a dreading 5 minutes when everyone’s eyes were on you.

Walking to my first period class, Jessie snuck up behind me.

“BOO!” She called out and I felt my heart leap in my chest. I placed my hand over my heart which was rapidly beating as she laughed.

“You don’t do that to people, Jessie!” I snapped, eyeing the people surrounding us. She look at them before she snorted, shaking her head.

“Seems like they’re still stuck on the events that took place at lunch on Friday?” She asked, raising an eyebrow as she glanced around the group. I nodded my head, entering first period with a wave to her

I sat down in my seat and let the teachers start their lectures. Halfway through the class, I heard my name being called to the office. A few, ‘Ooh, you’re in trouble’s’ erupted throughout the class but my teacher kindly rolled her eyes and wrote me a pass, excusing me from the class. I made sure to get the homework, though.

Walking through the hallways, a familiar voice echoed loudly, causing me to jump for the second time today.

“Oooh, you’re in trouble.” Adrian’s teasing voice sang and I rolled my eyes, letting out a nervous laugh. It came out sounding like a sob. 

“I hope it’s not about Monday.” I muttered, shaking my head. I was literally about to get on my hands and knees and pray to Jesus himself that it’s not about Monday. Adrian, on the other hand, looked amused as he neared the office.

“I hope it is.” He said teasingly, holding the door open for me and closing it. I noticed that he was heading in the direction of the bathroom.

“Fiona Harper?” The secretary asked and I nodded my head with a small smile on my lips. She gave me a blank look before picking up her phone and dialing a few numbers. She then pointed to the principal’s office and proceeded on with her work. I couldn’t help but notice Jessie exiting the office with a small smile on her lips. This can’t be good.

I walked towards the room, my muscles tense as I pulled on the handle. The door opened with ease and I sat down in a blue chair. The principal smiled at me, her hair graying and her wrinkles getting more defined as the days fly by. Her name is Principal Schneider.

“Ms. Harper, so good to see you,” She exclaimed. I smiled and nodded my head, extending the compliment back to her. In all honesty, I could care less about how it is ‘so good to see me,’ I just want to know why I’m here. “You’re probably wondering why I called you down here.”

“Yes, Mrs. Schneider.” I replied, nodding my head as I crossed my legs at the knee. She seemed amused before she reminded me of why I was down in her office.

“I’m hearing from teachers that you didn’t show up for your lessons after lunch on Friday, yet you made it to classes before lunch.” She spoke and I nodded, biting my lip. I hope my lying was professional enough to get by this one.