Chapter 22: Fighting like a Married Couple

Chapter 22

I was already tired when I woke up and I hadn’t even done anything yet. My parents, being the nice dolls (sarcasm, my friends) that they are, had scheduled my viola lesson for 10 o’clock and allowed me to get an extra 30 minutes of sleep. They woke me up at 8:30 A.M. I proceeded to get ready for my lesson.

I was driving to my lesson when I decided I had enough time to get a coffee, so that’s what I did. When I arrived at the building, I entered with a smile on my face. My parents also decided to change my instructor to a stricter; my parent’s word for crueler, one who thinks that I’m some type of rebel who disobeys her parents every wish.

“Fiona Harper,” His voice was leveled but it had a tinge of annoyance hidden within it. “You’re 3 minutes late.” He chided and I sighed. He was that guy.

“Sir, I’m sure that my parents have informed you that this building is a 45 minute drive and I was woken up so early that I didn’t have time for breakfast, so I stopped for coffee.” I excused and he raised both of his eyebrows.

“Are you back talking me? I will not teach a disrespectful child,” He said, slamming his hands onto his desk as I sat in the seat across from him. Child? I’m 17 and that isn’t a child in my eyes. And I’m only defending my point. “Now, you’ve already wasted enough time, sit down and play Beethoven Symphony 5.”

I nodded, placing the music in front of me as I adjusted my bow onto my strings, starting out the song and finishing it. He nodded his head in satisfaction. He walked over to my stand and took the sheet music away and nodded his head at me.

“What?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. Did he expect me to play it without the music?

“Play it.” He spoke and I gave him a look mixed with confusion and annoyance.

“I’ve just received the sheet music last week in the mail from my other instructor. I don’t remember the song.” I said and he shrugged.

“That isn’t my problem. Most kids that I teach who are half your age can remember this song in the matter of 3 days.” He retorted and I placed my viola in its case momentarily.

“Well, kids half my age aren’t in high school.” I snapped and he glared at me.

“Well, kids half your age have respect for their elders.” He retorted, my music still in his fat fingers.

“I give respect to those who give respect to me, no matter what their age is.” I informed him and he narrowed his eyes.

“You know what? Go home and practice, come back next Saturday with a new attitude.” He demanded slamming the sheet music onto my stand. I grabbed it and shoved it into the compartment on the viola case.

“You’re lucky if I come back at all. And don’t expect a full pay for this class, I’ve been here no longer than 5 minutes.” I stated and he muttered under his breath.

“I should be paid more for having to deal with your attitude.” He replied and I turned to face him.

“Would you like to file that complaint with my parents?” I asked and he shook his head. I turned back and held my chin up, walking out of the building.

I stuffed my viola into the backseat of my car and drove home, not stopping for food on the way. I was hungry, but I was going to talk to my parents first. Why would they assign me to that instructor? What possessed them to do that?

When I entered my house, I realized that my parents were at a meeting so I quickly ran upstairs, unzipped my viola and started practicing. Just to try and show Mr. Stupid Pants that I could remember in a song in 7 days, I started practicing it with the music, slowly trying to remember each section.