The Eye of the Storm

°The wolf°

"Storm," I heard my father growl as soon as i entered camp. I sighed and retreated to his side. "Any news of your brothers return?" His eyes pleaded with mine. My heart broke when I shook my head. His expression went sower than he whipped around and barked orders at our pack-mates.

I shifted from wolf to human with ease, listening to the cracking of my bones. I was use to the shift now. It was much smoother. I than walked over to my mentor, the beta, Chikita. I respectfully bowed, as accustomed and readied myself for training.

Chikita stopped me before I could start my normal warm ups. "You are going to learn from your father until your brothers return." The old beta coughed. I sighed and went back to my fathers side. He didn't realized I even left his side.

His eyes softened when he looked at me, than hardened back up. "What has Chikita taught you?" He bellowed. I shifted my weight back and forth on my feet.

"She taught me how to hunt and fight. She already tested me yesterday. She was going to start teaching me the politics today, but I guess you have other plans." I explained.

He nodded and watched me, his emotions well hidden. "OK, let's start with the chain of power. It goes alpha and shaman, Luna, alpha heir, beta, beta female, beta heir, hunter, guardian, hunter trainee, guardian trainee, nanny, nanny trainee, alphas pups, betas pups, other pups, omega, and village humans. Got it." My dad barked. I nodded and continued to recite it in my head.

"You already learned the hunter, guardian, and nanny's position, so your going to shadow me and learn the pack law. You'll do this over a series of weeks." He explained.

I held back a sigh and gave a brief nod. He dismissed me with a flick of his hand and returned to his quarters. The thick dirt mound shook from my father snoring as he slept.

I shook my head and ran back to the forest. I shifted into my wolf, Storm, and ran into the wind. My dark fur shimmered as I ran.

A scent caught my attention. I pressed my nose to the wind, slightly opening my mouth to retrieve the scent. It was a mix of tobacco and caribou. The young buck must have wandered close to the village.

I ran at a moderate pace toward the prey. The caribou was fearful, extremely so. I picked up my speed, and so did the fresh meat. It wasn't fast enough, I lot out a howl of chase and continued to give way to my instincts.

I reached my target with quick ease. But it wasn't what I thought. A young child in a red hood ran from me, the scent of tobacco and caribou hung heavily to her.

I wanted to slow down, give up on chasing her, but my wolf refused to stop. A low beast like growl rumbled from my chest as Storm flew, clamping down on her leg.

I regained control and shifted back into my human form. I stared at her, her blood dripping from my mouth. It wasn't that I attached her that stopped me, no, it was how beautiful she was.

Her hair was like the sun; golden and shiny. Her lips looked like a pink rose, soft and delicate. She was dainty in every way. It brought out this deep need to protect her. But that wasn't the best part. She smelt different like she was meant for me.