I Can't Breath

The wolf

It all happened so quickly. My blood pooled the ground around me. One minute I was over Kat, the next I was tearing out a hunters throat. But that son of a bitch had a gun. With the last bit of strength he had, he fired into my stomach.

I shifted back to human and wrapped Kaitlyn's hood around my side. I could possibly live if I made it into the village. I ran across the forest floor, but something felt off. I blamed it on my loss of blood and continued to run.

The pain in my side grew and I soon became winded. I huffed and whined as I made it into the village. I barely had time to get out another scream before a gun rang through the air. It wasn't me that the bullet pierced this time.

Kat dropped to her knees before an older gentlemen. He held a gun to her stomach. I wanted to rip him limb from limb. All I saw was red. Adrenaline raced through my blood stream as I shifted and leaped at my mates attacker. His blood pooled at the base of his throat as I clawed it out.

When he laid cold and limp at my feet, I searched for Katelyn's body. I fallowed a blood trail to a back ally. Kat had drag her body away from me. I shifted back to my human state and sat beside her.

She shivered at my touch and tried to move away from me. A single tear leaked from my eye. "I'm not going to hurt you." I whispered. I gently stroked her hair. She looked at me with fear in her eyes. Not just fear. It was pure terror.

I sighed and lowered my body to the ground and gently set my head in her lap. She flinched but soon relaxed a bit. Her body was radiating caution. I understood that. I let out a small sigh as she began to pet my hair. I began to feel the pain radiating through my body. It was both physical and emotional. I let my eyes rest.

I would survive my physical wounds, but Kat wouldn't. I lifted myself from the ground and took Kat's frail body into my arms. She was shaking like a leaf and I couldn't tell if it was from fear or because she was losing heat as she bled.

I ran towards home. My grandmother could save her. At least I hope she could. Magic is a fickle creature and the spirits were picky. I prayed to the gods to save my mate. I wouldn't survive that loss. I couldn't.

I slowed into a limping motion, but did not stop. I had to get her home. I heard a few twigs crack behind me. I tried moving faster, but the exhaustion set in. That's when my vision blurred and went black. I had lost too much blood to stay conscious. All I could think of was I failed. I killed my mate and myself in the process. I'm a failure.