Eight

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. ~Mark Twain

Luke's POV

Many hours later I was home, I stepped into a dark house. There was no light on at all and as I glanced around, there was not a noise either. "I'm home." The quiet of my voice seemed to bounce off the walls and was the only sound filling the air. I took a few more steps inside before sliding off my shoes, leaving them in the heaping pile. 

I walked in the kitchen and looked around, no one else was in there so I made my way towards the fridge. I grabbed sandwich meat, some bread and threw it on the counter before arranging it into a poor looking sandwich. I would eat it despite the looks, it tasted good and that was all that mattered to a hungry boy like me. 

While eating it I walked around the house, looking in every room. It was odd for both of my parents to be gone at the same time. If they were home, they were usually sleeping, but I was very rarely physically alone. Which was fine, I did not care either way. 

I sat down on the couch after a while and leaned back. I was always so tired after I got home, I always wondered how I got any homework done. I was still in my uniform which smelt of grease. 

I heard the front door open up and I turned to see my father walking in the house. There was some sort of dismay to him, but I do not think he saw me in the darkness. I was on my feet in seconds but he only saw me when he turned on a small lamp. 

"Oh, dammit!" He said, as if I had scared him. I did not change my demeanor at all. He cleared his throat and took a step back and ran a hand down my face. "What are you doing?" 

"I live here." I replied, there was no tone of agitation to my voice at all. 

"I thought you worked tonight." My father rolled his eyes, not at all pleased with my answer.

"I did." I said. "I just got home." 

My father nodded and then disappeared into the kitchen. As if he no longer cared. I walked up the stairs to my room and looked around. It was unusually messy. I meant to clean it sometime this week, and the littered clothes and crumpled papers on the floor were driving me insane but all this week I was training Michael. 

I felt kind of bad for him, even if I never wanted to admit it.  There had to be a reason that he was living with Samantha, whatever it might be I would probably never know exactly what happened. But did I really want to? After all, I was never really sympathetic towards anyone, I felt no empathy for the boy. Curious, yes. Caring, absolutely not. 

I folded my arms, after all it was really cold in my room. When I stood up and walked over to where the thermostat was on the wall, I noticed it was on ninety but the room never surpassed sixty-five degrees. I tilted my head to the side but shook my head. I figured someone just did not pay the heat bill and my next check would be to do that. 

My parents worked like crazy, but they never had enough money. In fact, I found myself paying bills all the time. I had pretty much become a master at taxes by the time I was fourteen and by sixteen was efficient at bouncing checks. These are not really skills people look for but I feel as if it might help me in the long run. 

I sat back down on my bed and leaned back. I do not when or how I fell asleep, but I did. I did so too quickly for me to even pull myself under the covers. 

I woke for school the next morning at five, like I did every morning. Even though school never started until eight. I looked at myself in the mirror before realizing that I was in my uniform still. "Oh gross." I stated before shedding it off and walking to the bathroom in my underwear. Once inside I climbed in the shower and stood for maybe forty minutes as I let the steaming water cover my entire body. I climbed out and eventually before I knew it, found myself at school. 

I was standing at my locker, not paying any attention to anyone else until a girl bumped into me. When I turned my eyes to her she went to apologize but instantly choked up. 

And then she totally freaked out. 

"Ah! Luke!" She squeaked. "I-I am so sorry! I did not mean to run into you! I swear!"

"Calm down." I solemnly spoke as I closed my locker and walked off, to my dismay she followed me.

"Are you sure that I did not hurt you or anything?" She asked. She was making a lot of gestures with her hands is what I immediately picked up on.

"Yes, I'm sure." I rolled my eyes. 

"So do you forgive me?" She asked and at this point I either wanted to punch myself or her in the face.. Or both of us. 

"Yeah, whatever. I don't even know who you are." I huffed in annoyance. 

"Well in that case," She smiled. "Allow me to introduce myself!"

"Or you could just - I don't know - not." 

"My name is Angela!" She smiled wide and held her hands behind her back. As if she was proud of herself.

"Well, sadly, you already know who I am. So I am afraid this is where the conversation ends!" I said, faking sorrow that was completely obviously sarcastic. I leaned over slightly, held my hands together and shook my head as I spoke. Dragging out every word. "Terribly sorry, deary." 

Angela only laughed at me, and which seemed to shock me more than anything. I stood back up and she spoke. "You're very funny." I turned to walk back down the hallway but it seemed as if she would never leave me alone. Despite how much I insulted her. 

"Damn why can't you go away!? Are you not offended at all!?" I snarled. 

"Not at all." She smiled. "You're just honest." 

"Oh my gosh.." I groaned and ran a hand down my face. I let her follow me as I reached Ashton's locker, he was standing with Ava and Michael as well, I chose to ignore Angela. Ava and Ashton both smiled, they knew as well as I did what exactly was up with this girl, but Michael was on the outside. Where he belonged.

"Luke you should tell them what you said!" Angela pleaded and I groaned again, placing my head against the locker.

"Angela, do you ever shut up?" I asked. "You're so annoying please just stop. I don't want you here!" 

"Why are you so mean to her!?" Michael snapped. I turned to see his face turning red as he showed some true colors. I smiled only slightly and just for a moment. "You can't just act nice, be a gentleman?!"

"Wow he's weird." Angela snickered and this is where I grew confused and somewhat infuriated.

"What are you talking about?" I turned to her. "He's standing up for you, and you say he's weird? Look, I know I have a reputation of being mean but I say this in the nicest way. You're stupid if you're against people helping you out like that."

"He's just poking his nose in places where it really doesn't belong." Angela shrugged. 

"Get the hell out of here." I scoffed. "You're the one who doesn't belong here." When Angela rolled her eyes, I had to restrain slapping her. For one because she's a.. Well a she. Secondly, I was never known to be physically violent. But I lowered my face down to her level and gritted my teeth. "Leave." I said quietly. It was only when I screamed out the same word she did scatter off.

"Damn Luke." Ava laughed. "You were pretty angry there."

"I'm always angry." I rolled my eyes. "I'm going to class now, degenerates." 

I heard Ava and Ashton laughing hysterically as I walked away. To them, my crude humor was a part of everyday life, in fact most people saw it like that. It was almost if I was never mean, then there was something wrong. Even when I held the door for others it was always "What's gotten into Luke?" Honestly you could get a little sick of it, but it only fueled me more for some unknown reason.

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Ariana

Double updaaate because you deserve it!

But I mean, work was interesting.  

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX