Twenty

To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides. ~David Viscott

Michael's POV

I walked into school the next day. Everyone was glaring straight at me. I was scared for my life. There was not a place in the world I could go, and I feared it. I feared being alone.

I could see Luke too, he was standing with Ashton, whom was glaring at me. Although Luke hung his head down, as if seeing me was hurting him. I suppose after what I said and what I did, I would feel a little betrayed too.

It was not until just after last period that things got rough. I had just left the school and I was stopped by a group of girls and guys, followers of Mr. Hemmings, I supposed. They walked closer to me and smiled.

"You like acting the way you do, huh Clifford?" One asked. "I swear we will make you pay for it."

"What's wrong with you people? You follow Luke like he's your king." I huffed.

"Luke's just great. Unlike you." One of the girl's scoffed and spit on me. "You should be so lucky to have him even look your way."

Then there was the first punch, and I stumbled into another who held me, and I endured every punch. I endured it all. I deserved it I felt. But then I heard someone yelling, maybe it was a teacher.

"Knock it off!" I raised my eyes and opened them to see Luke grabbing the wrist of the largest guy, they all immediately took a few steps back. "What is wrong with you people? Do you have no common decency. Leave him alone!"

"Why are you defending him, after what he said?" One of the girl's scoffed.

"You shouldn't be attacking other people just because of poorly exchanged words. You should all apologize." Luke folded his arms.

"I don't want to - " One of the guys began but when he saw Luke, he turned to me. "Sorry Clifford." There was a unison and quiet apology thrown at me and the guy dropped me as they all walked away.

Luke stood in front of me, his hands deep in his pockets before he crouched down and let out a sigh. "Get up." I began to stand up and with wobbly legs. Luke put his hand around my waist as we walked towards his car. He helped me into the passenger seat and then he got in the driver's seat. He took a deep breath and started the car.

"Why did you do that?" I asked. Luke did not answer me. "I'm sorry for what I sa - "

"Drop it." Luke said immediately, no hesitation to his voice. "It doesn't matter. I get it anyways."

"What?" I went wide eyed.

"It's logical, I agreed with everything you said." Luke shrugged. "Everything you said is true, whether you wanted to hurt my feelings or not. It will always be true."

"No, Luke.." I shook my head and could feel my heart almost breaking, I never wanted to make anyone feel bad about themselves.

"It's okay, Michael." Luke said firmly. "Please, forget it."

Eventually we arrived at his house, he helped me inside and I looked around. It was nice, but silent. "Is anyone home?" I asked.

"Um..No." Luke shook his head. "N-No. There usually isn't anyone here except for when I'm here."

"You're all alone?" I asked as Luke sat me down on the couch. Luke nodded his head and left the room. I looked around the room. There were a couple picture frames covered in dust or laying down. Or both. It was clean though. There was no evidence of anyone living here. Luke came back down a black t-shirt and gray sweatpants. He passed me a long sleeved dark purple long-sleeved shirt and a pair of black sweatpants.

"Go ahead, I'll be in the other room." Luke said and left the room. I heard some rummaging but managed to change into his clothes. It felt big on me, and smelt just like he does. Luke eventually came back with a bucket full of things. He grabbed a wet cloth and dabbed it against my forehead.

"I know you don't want to, but can you lift up your shirt a little? I just want to see if your ribs are alright." Luke said. So I did what he said and he seemed a little shocked at first but looked as if he tried to ignore it as he poked around at my ribcage. "You should be fine." He put a bandage on my head and let out a sigh as he grabbed my hand and rolled up my sleeve.

"How did you - "

"The cuts are broken, it was leaking through the shirt." Luke said, he acted like it did not bother him to be cleaning it, but his hands were shaking and at one point he stopped and wiped his eyes. He wrapped it and then repeated the process. He took the cleaning supplies back into the other room, and eventually came back. Still wiping his eyes.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"M-Mhm." He sniffled. I almost felt bad. "D-Do you want anything?"

"I want you to come here." I said as I extended my arms. Luke lifted his head and shook it, taking a step back. "Why not?"

"N-No." Luke shook his head and then began to cry more. I let out a sigh.

"Come here." I urged him. I stood up, despite the pain I felt from the bruises soon to cover me and grabbed his hand, tugging on him.

"N-No p-please." Luke shook his head furiously but I never listened. Instead I sat him on the couch and sat next to him. Tugging him closer to me as he turned into me and cried. His arms wrapped around my neck as he curled up, just like in the freezer.

"Calm down." I whispered as I rubbed his back and leaned my head on his.

He sat up and wiped his eyes as he hiccuped.

"I-I'll - " Hiccup. "Be right b-back." He came back with a glass of water for him and myself and sat down. Drinking it, I took small sips of my own and placed it down. I watched him put the cup down and pull his knees up. He looked like he had something to say, but no idea how to say it.

"Do you really not like me?" Luke asked after a long period of silence. "It's okay if you don't.."

"I like you." I replied.

"Okay." Luke nodded.

I had no idea what to say, I wanted to say something but I had no idea how to say it. It was as it choked me. "I-I mean.. I really li-like you.. A-A lot.."

"Okay." Luke responded.

I felt my eyes beginning to burn as I dared to even say "more than a friend." After what I've done, I was thankful just to be sitting with him. Besides, Luke would never be into me. After all, look at me. I'm insane..

Luke scooted closer to me on the couch and reached over, wiping underneath my eyes. I felt Luke kiss my cheek and froze. "H-How are you not ma-mad?" I mumbled.

"I'm just not." Luke shook his head. "I don't know, it's hard to be mad with you. I always feel guilty about it." Luke picked up my hand and began to play with the fingers. "You have little hands."

I immediately tugged my hand away from him. "No!" Luke immediately panicked. "I didn't mean it like it's a bad thing! I like them.."

"I don't!" I huffed.

"I didn't mean to make you feel bad!" Luke's eyes were wide. "I'm so sorry!"

"Well I don't like them!" I huffed and immediately began to cry. "I-I don't like anything about myself, I'm stupid and fat and ugly and I'm mean and most likely insane and - "

"Stop it!" Luke snapped at me. "Don't you dare talk about yourself like that."

"What does it matter to you?!" I snapped back. "You don't know anything about me."

"I wouldn't like you so much if that was so true!" Luke huffed. "You're super smart, you just don't like to say answers. You are not fat, if anything you have more muscle than I do, you're not ugly, you're not mean and-and..Gah, I just want to kiss you and hold you and love you!" Luke immediately covered his mouth as I went wide eyed, my face flushed deep red.

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Ariana

Damn do I love my cliffhangers. Except the next chapter is already written by the time this has gone up.

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX