Forty

Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present. ~Bil Keane

Michael's POV

~June of the Same Year~

I walked out of school on the last day of our last year of high school. We had all summer to do something with ourselves, or do nothing at all.

"You guys are still together?" A girl gasped, I turned to see four of them talking to Luke. He laughed and nodded. "That explains why you're so much happier!" It was true, after a while - a long while - Luke was no longer mean to the people whom admired him. He was nice to them, and they ate it up even more.

Ashton and Ava were on the other side of me, and gave me a nudge as Calum was standing next to Luke, a proud smile on his face.

"We're going to miss you Luke!" The girls all seemed like they were going to start crying as they hugged Luke. He looked to me with a shocked expression but I shook my head slowly as I laughed. They pulled away and turned to me. "We'll miss you too Michael, sorry we were so mean to you at the beginning of the year. You must be a really great person."

"O-Oh.." I muttered, they all grabbed a hold of me and squeezed my body tightly, I was so tempted to shove them away, this had been happening all day though, I was used to it. They walked away and we continued to Luke's car.

"So, guys. What next?" Luke asked. "We finally finished high school, what now?"

"I don't know." Ashton shrugged. "I kind of want to cry."

When I turned my head to Ashton I almost started laughing when I could see the makeup streaming down Ava's face. "A-Ava!" They all turned to her and went wide eyed.

"Are you alright?" Luke asked.

"I-I'm going to miss you all so much!" Ava bursted out into sobs as she pushed us all into a group hug. I laughed and shook my head slightly.

"Ava, relax. I'll actually want to remain friends with you." Luke smiled. Ava slapped his arm and wiped her face as we walked down to Luke's car. I got in the front with Luke and the other three sat in the back, I could tell they were probably uncomfortable with all of their long legs jumbling together.

I watched Luke drive the car and his hand rested on the arm of the seat. I reached out and grabbed his hand, he never turned his head to me, but I could see the smile on his face. We continued to drive until we reached our first stop - Ava's house.

"Okay Ava, we'll be back in about an hour." Luke said as the girl climbed over Ashton's legs and out of the car. We repeated the same thing with Ashton and Calum and eventually reached my house.

"Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?" I asked.

Luke shook his head. "I don't know if my parents will be there, I'm worried about what might happen if they see you."

"Luke.." I sighed. I watched him let out a sigh, I knew that he had a really hard time saying no to me - especially in instances like this.

"Alright fine." Luke replied. "You can come with me." Luke pulled away from my house and it was a mostly silent drive to Luke's home. Which he had not been back to in months.

The only reason he was going there was to make sure he had everything he needed, and would never have to go back again. He was mostly getting summer clothing, but making sure there was nothing he was going to leave behind. After this summer, he was never going back.

We pulled up to the house and there was not a single car in the parking lot. We got out of the car and Luke looked at the mailbox, it was overflowing with mail so he took it out and looked through it. A lot of it looked like it was addressed to Luke - colleges - but everything else was bills with final notice written in big bold red letters.