Eleven

Without a struggled there can be no progress. ~Frederick Douglass

Luke's POV

I walked in my house, rubbed my tired eyes and fell onto the couch. I found my eyes tracing over the patterns on the ceiling while I thought.

My stomach twisted uncomfortably and I thought I might be sick, although that was not the case. I had no idea why I felt this way but I also feel like there was nothing to be done about it.

I looked around me at the dusty decorations sitting on shelves. Maybe a few years ago, they were put there with care; but now they were put with false hopes.

My phone rang on the table and I rolled over, picking it up I glanced at the screen and saw Ashton's name flash across it.

Rubbing my eyes I answered it. "What do you want?"

"Always so sour, sheesh.." Ashton huffed and I felt that same sick feeling.

"S-Sorry.." I muttered and there was a long silence.

"Are you alright?" Ashton asked. "It's not like you to apologize about that kind of thing. Plus, I was just joking."

"I'm fine." I huffed. "What did you want?"

"I just was confused about the homework in science. Like what is this?" Ashton asked.

"Why didn't you have her help you in class when we were working in it?" I rolled my eyes, leave it to Ashton.

"Uh because someone put Ava and I in the same class together!" Ashton said. "She's here actually; we're trying to do it."

"Your mother allows Ava to be over at nine o'clock at night?" I asked, completely stunned because if anything Ashton's mother was rough around the edges when it came to letting Ashton have a social life. After all, Ashton had problems with other kids in the past and there were very few kids who she let Ashton hang out with. Ava was never one of them.

"She's out of town." Ashton explained to me. "So Ava's here and her parents don't care at all.

"Well I finished it in class so I didn't bring my binder home with me." I sighed. "I don't think I could explain it to you anyways; I'm terrible at explaining anything."

"Okay, I suppose we can just give it our best shot." Ashton sighed. "Thanks for your help?"

"You literally have nothing to thank me for. Night guys." I said and hung up. I sat up on the couch and looked around before heading upstairs to bed. It was Friday and I was mentally and physically exhausted.

Every Friday morning we started with a whole school assembly to discuss the week. Most kids disliked it, but teachers hates it even more. We went to homeroom and then were escorted like prisoners to the gymnasium.

I sat down at the top of the bleachers by myself. Well I usually say in the corner alone. But I found a loner sitting in my seat by the name of Michael Clifford.

I stood in front of him and he raised his head to me, tugging out his earbuds.

"This is my seat." I told him.  He scooted to the left and patted the space. "Why can't you just go sit somewhere else?"

Michael said nothing and so I sat and leaned forward on my legs. His eyes were casted on me as the minute passed.

"What are you looking at?" I snapped at him. He said nothing, but gave me an up-and-down look and turned his head off to the side. I had to wonder what caused him to be such a snot and especially all of a sudden. When I looked at him again though, he had a clouded look over his eyes. One that I could not quite make out, but I knew it equally well.

I had to think, it must have been hard to move in with his aunt, I know that no parent support can cause a lot of things. I stopped playing guitar in band, stopped taking high-level classes, stopped going on, so on so forth because both of my parents were too busy trying to stay afloat than to help me. Which I suppose they were helping me, but at the same time I would have rather been homeless with my parents than living comfortably alone. Even though, we were considered to live poorly, it was comfortable considering how we used to live.

Maybe that was always what caused me to act the way I did. I saw a lot of unfortunate kids and I never looked like one and I tried not to. I tried to be above all of the people I would always be below.

In a moment I noticed everyone standing up around me while I was staring off into the pits of space. "Stand up." Michael said and I did so. The question why was answered with a long period of silence. Then we were told we could take a seat.

"Why were we standing?" I asked Michael.

"If you paid any attention you would know." Michael scoffed. I was not accustomed to his new attitude or to anyone talking to me this way.

I was going to snap.

"Watch your mouth Clifford. Just because your precious aunt is my boss doesn't mean I give a damn." I snarled.

"What are you going to do about it?" Michael rolled his eyes. "Oh, I'm so scared of you."

I clenched my jaw. Did I really want to get into a fight in front of the entire school? No, not exactly. But I felt like he was getting the best of me.

"You try to act like you're cooler than everyone else just because you're.. Well you." Michael said. "No matter what I'm told, I'm sure you're a bad person deep down."

"What have you been told?" I asked. I was genuinely curious. Michael shrugged his shoulders and I let out a huff and turned back to the teachers speaking.

I only knew one thing though, I was going to make sure this kid never crossed my path, again.

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Ariana

Eyyyy. I'm here. Don't worry I'm not dead but I'm just preoccupied a lot so it's hard to post a lot of updates.

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX