Fourteen

I simply can't build my hopes on a foundation of confusion, misery and death... I think... peace and tranquillity will return again. ~Anne Frank

Luke's POV

Michael and I walked outside, Samantha instantly ran for Michael. Families and friends were all crying on one another, so relieved to have one another, so relieved to be safe and sound. I, on another hand, was sitting alone on the sidewalk. My legs folded up. Just observing everyone. 

Maybe Michael had a point. I gripped my body and hated being alone, but all I ever did was push everyone away. And maybe there were a few individuals that would actually want to know who I was. To someone I must've been more than good hair and blue eyes. I had to be more to someone, the only problem is I made them see me as nothing more than cruel. 

I swallowed hard as I tried to choke down the fear of being alone. Yes, that was what I am. Alone. That's all there is to it. I could look at my progress and my grades and be proud if I did not give up everything else along the way. If I had not given up so much of myself to achieve this. It was almost as if I gave my heart away and sold my soul. 

News crews were here, and I just wanted them to stay away from me. In fact, they asked if I could be interviewed. I immediately said no. I wanted to share no stories with them. I wanted to lock myself away, and never have to look another human being in the eyes again.

I suppose I could not complain too much. In comparison to a lot of people my life was really good. I had both of my parents..Sort of. I had friends, I guess. I had my insanity. Or at least I thought I did. I tried not to start bawling in front of a crowd. But instead what I did was stand up and make my way to my car. I could at least sit in the backseat and be alone. 

So that was what I did. I laid on the seat and cried my pity away. I used to cry a lot more when I felt like I really had to do a lot for myself. After awhile I learned to choke it down and haven't cried long time. But now everything was coming back for me, and I could help but to sob. 

"Sit up." I felt someone smack my sock-covered foot. I looked up to see Michael standing in the car's door frame. "Come on, sit up." I sat up and scooted towards the window. Michael sat down and shut the door. "Your car smells like your feet." 

"Shut it.." I muttered. I was in no mood for his jokes. Michael scooted closer to me and wiped under my eyes with a tissue. "What are you..?" 

"Now blow your nose." Michael placed the tissue in my hand as he moved away and I blew my nose with it. 

"Why do you have tissues in your pocket?" I asked as I tossed the snotty tissue on the ground. 

"Ah, it's a complicated story." Michael shook his head. Almost looking pained by the memory. "Anyways, are you alright?" He turned to me and I nodded my head, looking down at my hands. "Hm.. Maybe I'm smelling lies and not your feet." 

"Shut up. I didn't ask for your company." I muttered as I folded my arms and looked out the window. 

"Well..No one showed up for you, I thought the least I could do was show up to your car for you." Michael said and I could feel my shoulders sulk downwards. "No one came?" 

"I told you, my parents don't care. No one does." I replied, refusing to either see the happiness or pity on Michael's face. 

"I care." Michael said.

"No you don't." 

"I hate seeing people sad." Michael said as he scooted closer to me. "And while not seeing you pissed off is refreshing it's not any better to see you so miserable. I thought I would enjoy seeing you that way, but honestly you look like a beaten puppy." 

"Thanks, I guess." I replied. 

"Do I have to tickle you to make you feel better?" Michael asked.

"Don't touch me." 

"You weren't that against me in the freezer, Luke." Michael chuckled and I went wide eyed and turned my head to him. "You were so cute, all curled up in a ball." 

"I'm going to kill you, I think." I huffed. 

"We already talked about this, I don't have any fear of death." Michael smiled, there was some sadness behind it. "I'm going to tell you a story, Luke. So listen carefully because I'm not telling you again." Michael put his feet up and put an arm around my shoulders. 

"Okay." I nodded my head. 

"So, in high school I wasn't ever really well-liked. I got bullied a lot and was honestly pretty depressed and screwed up. But my parents and my sister were behind me all the way. So it was really nice at home, I used to pretend to be sick or sometimes make myself sick in order not to go to school. A few years ago, my father passed away. My mother would never stop crying, she just sobbed endlessly. She stopped going to work, stopped caring and started drinking. Her and my sister argued a lot. Home became hell, a happy place soon turned into a really grim and dark place. I never knew where I wanted to be, at home or at school. In all honesty I really wanted to die. After one night, during a storm, my sister and mother were arguing. My sister left and got into a car accident. She died too. I had no idea what to do at this point," Michael's eyes watered with tears as he spoke, I was pretty sure I was already crying but his entire body began to shake. "And..Uh..Then my mother killed herself.. And well, h-here I am." 

"Michael.." I mumbled. I had to think, this seemed like some sort of curse. I immediately felt guilty for how badly I had treated him. No wonder Samantha had warned me so much. 

I wrapped my arms around him and pushed his head down to my shoulder where he continued to cry. His shaking arms holding on tight and I thought he might break me. "It's okay. Just let it out." I said quietly and ran my hand up and down his back. 

I was sure that there was a moral to this story, but the only morals I could think of just made me feel worse about it. After seeing all that mayhem though, you could bet he never wanted to do anything again. 

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Ariana

Whoop Whoop. Update yo. I'm so good. Lol this was really sad to write just saying. 

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX