Twenty-Two

I know how men in exile feed on dreams. ~Aeschylus 

Luke's POV 

I drove up to Michael's house and sat in my car, waiting for him to come outside. When he finally did, he got into my car without saying a word. Not saying why he might be late, never the less, I drove the both of us to school. When we climbed out of my car, I walked around to Michael and went to grab his hand. He immediately pulled it away.

"What's the matter?" I asked.  In all honesty I felt somewhat offended, after all he already had ran out of my house without a word. So, naturally, I was concerned.

"I just don't want to hold hands with you in public." Michael replied, and I had a hard time understanding why. Naturally, I wanted to be able to show him off while keeping girls off of me. But he barely wanted to walk beside me.

"Do you want me to carry some of your books?" I asked. I was holding more than Michael but I thought it was a sweet gesture.

"No." Michael said and there was a cold tone to his voice.

"Is..Is everything alright?" I asked, leaning so I could see his face. Michael scoffed and pushed away from me.

"Could you knock it off? You are so annoying." Michael groaned and I tightened my grip around my books as I stood perfectly still. Michael turned and walked away, leaving me behind.

I was miffed. I had no idea how to respond, or what was even going on. So I walked inside and found Ashton at his locker with Calum. I walked over and they both seemed pleased to see me. "I'm confused." I announced, they each exchanged looks.

"About what?" Calum asked.

"Michael is acting strange." I answered. "He even refused to hold my hand."

Ashton and Calum held a knowing look. "Well," Ashton began. "He is simply embarrassed by you, to put it plain and simple."

"Embarrassed?" I mumbled, how could he already dislike me.

"He's afraid about how others will react if you are open and honest with your relationship." Ashton continued. "You can't be that naive Luke. You must understand that not everyone will accept your relationship with Michael."

"But why doesn't he want to be open about it?" I asked. "I don't really care what other people have to say, but I at least think that he should be willing to be accepting about it." 

"Do you hear yourself right now? You're asking Michael of all people, to be open and honest. You really are a damned fool." Ashton laughed, shaking his head and I felt my stomach twist. Folding my arms I turned away.

"Ashton, be nice." Calum hissed. He put his hand on my shoulder and turned me away from Ashton, walking me down the hallway. "I don't know why he's acting like that." 

"Neither do I.." I mumbled. I shook my head and tried not to think about it, after all, Ashton had never acted really cold at all.

"Oh hey Luke, Calum." Ava greeted us with a smile, but then frowned. "What's the matter?"

"Ashton's being a jerk." I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "I don't understand what his problem is."