Thirty-Five

There is no refuge from confession but suicide; and suicide is confession. ~Daniel Webster

Luke's POV

I walked through the bitter cold, and found myself standing at Michael's door. Walking inside as I looked around the area. Up the stairs and finding myself searching as if I did not know where I was. I walked into his room, could see the blood on the floor and the pills spread across the floor as they spilled from the bottle. I would have stopped, stopped and cleaned it up but I could see Michael's computer screen light up as it emanated a sound.

I walked over to where it was and looked at the screen. Then I went wide eyed as I read Ashton's name.

I scanned the messages and could my fists shake as they grew tight enough for my knuckles to become white.

"Ashton.." I hissed out. I walked out of the house, slamming every door as I took the path I knew to Ashton's house. When I knocked on the door his mother appeared.

"Oh hello Luke." She said. "Is everything alright? You're here quite late."

"Where's Ashton?" I asked.

"In his room." His mother said and stepped out of my way. I walked up the stairs and barged through his door. Slamming it shut behind me as I could see Ashton sitting on his bed on his computer. I walked over to him and pushed it off his lap and onto the floor.

"Luke what the he - "

"Shut the hell up." I snarled. "You have too much explaining to do and chose your words carefully Ashton."

"What are you talking about?" Ashton sighed as he stood up off his bed. "What are you even doing here?"

I could feel myself practically twitching with every word that left Ashton's mouth. "You..Just who do you think you are? You feel like you have the right to go and say what you will!"

"Luke I - "

"You told Michael to go and kill himself.." I snarled. "I saw the messages Ashton."

"It wasn't me Luke." Ashton shook his head. "Lizzy was here earlier, maybe she did it."

"Why are you hanging out with Lizzy?" I snarled. "You're an awful liar Ashton. How could you say those things to Michael!? You act like you know so much about me that you can tell him just to get rid of himself!"

"Luke, calm down." Ashton put his hands up. "Be rational here, why would I - "

"You hated Michael. You always have." I spit out. I felt my jaw tighten as I lost all sense of control, I grabbed Ashton by the collar of his shirt and threw him to the ground with a thud. I could feel my eyes already pricking with tears, but I leaned over Ashton and went at it. I continuously punched his face and when I heard screams, my fingers wrapped around his throat. Squeezing as tight as I could.

"Luke! Luke stop it!" I heard screaming as I was dragged off of Ashton but I never stopped, I kicked and thrashed and screamed.

"You heartless bastard! How could you say that kind of thing!?" I yelled. "Why would you do this!?"

I could see Ashton's face covered in his blood and the blood that was pouring out of my knuckles. "Call nine-one-one," I heard but completely ignored it. I screamed and tried to get away from the grasp and eventually felt much stronger hands throw me back to the ground.

Looking up I could see a couple of officers standing over me. They grabbed me and put handcuffs around my wrists and dragged me out of the house. I heard a bunch of voices but I could ultimately only see the world spinning around me and a sharp ringing in my ear as my body was cold.