Paying it forward

Sofie pushed her way past the security and eager reporters surrounding the hospital,  and jogging her way to the waiting room where Camila's head of security had said her sister was located.

Upon entering the waiting room, the relief on Sofie's face upon seeing that her sister was in fact okay, made Camila feel guilty for not thinking to let her sister know she was alright.

"You better have a seriously good explanation for not taking five seconds out of
your time to call your only family and say, 'Hey no worries I'm alive." Sofie spat angrily, pulling her nervous sister into a tight hug.

"How did you get here so fast?" Camila asked nervously.

"I took the jet the second the security guards, that I didn't know were hovering over me, said your panic button had been turned on." Sofie said scowling.

"I'm sorry. But in my defense, I was a little busy getting shot at. I know you're mad about a lot right now, but I have to get my new kid home. We can pick this up on the way once she settled into the guest room. How long are you staying?" asked Camila, giving her sister a look that said not to ask any questions, once Sofie's eyes roamed the room, just  now noticing the curious eyes staring at her.

"I got permission from my professor to take a week. He'll email me some assignments, and I'll attend lectures via video chat." Sofie answered.

"Sofie..." Camila started weakly.

"You may be my sister Mila, but your also like my mother. We are all we have, so do not give me crap about school coming first. I took care of everything, I wont fall behind, so let it go. I'm old enough to choose where my priorities lie." Sofie demanded leaving no room for argument.

Sighing Camila answered,  "Okay."

"So. Who's the kid?" asked Sofie softening, at the puffy eyed teen.

"This is Ericka Grande. I was with her and her family tonight for pizza when a gang shot up the restaurant. Her parents didn't make it and her aunt is in the ICU. There was another incident with cop fatalities, so there's worry that they were deliberately targeted. It's not safe for her to go to a foster home, and it will take a few months for her aunts family to be approved so she's staying with me." Camila explained quietly.

Sofie nodded gravely and said,"Cop kids aren't safe on the streets. So smart choice. Your addiction to security is the best thing for her."

"I don't have an addiction. I'm just cautious." Mumbled Camila offended.

Amused, Sofie sat back in her seat, and crossed her legs casually.

"Does her aunt happen to be Detective delicious?" asked Sofie smiling.

Camila blushed, as the Jauregui's laughed lightly at her horrified expression.

"Sofie, this is Detective's delicious family. Thanks for that by the way." Camila muttered avoiding their amused stare.

Sofie looked at the family, and said,"She's gotta be beautiful, because this families gots some awesome genes. Way to go Mila."

"Sofie I swear, I will add more security." Camila threatened weakly, her cheeks redder than deemed normal.

Sofia shrugged and said,"You'd do it anyway."

Noticing Ally, Sofia smiled and hugged her saying,"I didn't even see you short stack. Hows it going? I bet you warned her I was coming didn't you?"

Ally laughed lightly and said,"Yeah, shes been through enough tonight, didn't think a heart attack would be wise."

Camila was about to protest, when she saw her best friend Dinah approaching her wearing a grim expression.