Sacrifices for the innocent

A month went by, and Camila was overwhelmed with the positive results pouring in. Yes, there was some resistent, but most of the kids were happy to have the opportunities given to them.

Since the day the center opened, Camila got calls daily from around the city, citing improvment in behavior and participation. The kids that ranged from fourteen to almost eighteen, had started work training the day after the opening of the center, and two weeks later when the kids were given their first paycheck there were mixes of tears and smiles all around. This wasn't money that was given to them as a allowance, this was money they earned. Worked hard for. It made them feel as if they had some control over their life, and they loved it.

The center even had a store inside, where the latest things were sold at the cheapest cost around. Camila had a contract through multiple manufacturers and their items were sold at less then whole sale, and the rest was used as a tax write off.

Kids got new shoes for less than twenty dollars, when others went to the mall and spent eighty. Holes, and worn out clothes, were becoming a thing of the past, and as Camila suspected, the older kids generosity ranged to their younger foster siblings, assuring her that as hard as these kids were, they were still good kids at heart.

The bond between her, Ericka and the Jaureguis, along with the other officers families was also growing. They trusted her, in more ways than one, and respected her above all else. She had more than proven her self to them, and there wasn't a place in the city where she wasn't known for her good deeds.

But as the good deeds were pouring out, there was also evil ones pouring in.

Threats started coming to the Mansion directed towards Camila daily, especially when she offered a reward for information that led to the people responsible for the many killings in the police force.

It seemed that instead of trying to threatened the people volunteering, the gangs directed their efforts in scaring her off. She was not amused.

She took to wearing a bullet proof vest, and kept herself armed at all times. She made sure she was never directly next to Ericka in public, not wanting anything to happen to the teen, and made her sister promise to keep the center going at all costs in case anything ever did happen to her.

Sofie was not amused either.

Every week, Normani took Ericka to see Lauren multiple times, and on the days she couldn't Camila took the teen.

Today, Camila was overseeing the centers first monthly sports scrimmage, while Ericka made her visit to see Lauren with Normani.

The day was bright, and the kids were filled with smiles as they used their weekly lessons, to play sports like any other kid would. She smiled at all the happy kids around her, and was happy she decided to add multiple fields, ensuring no sport was left out.

She sat in the stands and watched kids with talent they didn't even know they had, and smiled to herself knowing these kids would remember the feeling of achievement, for something as small as hitting a ball, or making a play.

Camila's phone rang, and seeing Normani's name come across her screen, made her stomach drop. Worried, Camila answered immediately asking,"Whats wrong?"

"Laurens awake. You should get down here."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Camila rushed into the hospital, patting herself on the back for the jeans and sneakers she was sporting, making her full out sprint easier to manage.

She flew to Lauren's room and felt her stomach drop when she heard shouts of rage come from Lauren's room.

Once at the threshold of the door, she watched in horror as Lauren ripped the IV's from her arms, and threw herself off the bed only to fall from the weakness of not using her legs for so long.