Ch. 1

My 100th birthday was three months away, but I've been planning it now for 80 years. It may be ridiculous planning a party for that long, but it's not just a party for me. Birthdays just don't have that special ring to it after you've been miserable your whole life. But this one does, because it's going to be the perfect murder. 

     I believe my mother has been in charge for far too long - so long that I don't even know how old she really is - I've herd the people speak and they agree with me. It won't be easy of course, she is stronger than me and has loyal spies everywhere, along with the fact that being immortal practically makes you invisible. But what helps is that she sees me as her weak daughter who has no interest in the throne because all my life I let her believe that. 

     So here I am in the ice white throne room, sitting next to the Ice Queen herself, while one of her knights holds a beaten villager and explains to my mother what his crime was. Of course I'm looking bored out of my mind, even slouching on my pale blue throne, but really I study the Knights face as he speaks.

     "So you see your grace, I suggest we round up the whiners, like this man, and make a lesson out of them."

     It was quite until my mother spoke, no one would dare move or even speak without her permission, and she sure does like to make things dramatic. So I say about after a full two minutes of her staring down the knight she decides to reply.

     "Why would I do that?" The Ice Queen announced, her voice echoing off the walls.

     "Because we need to show the commoners not to question your authority," he said proudly.

     "My authority?"

     "Yes your gra-"

     "I was not done speaking! Do not interrupt me again!" My mother roared at her knight.

     His mask of pride slipped from his face and he quickly went down on both his knees to show his apology. The village man looked scared beyond his mind, and confused whether he should stand or do the same. He chose to do the same.

     I on the other hand was trying not to smirk at the stupidity of the Knights ignorance, biting my bottom lip instead.  

     "As I was saying, my authority is not being questioned. They all feel comfortable in their own homes to tell each other lies, but send one up to speak to me and they will not speak so freely. No, they would cower just like you, a brave knight is the same as a commoner. I have more important things to deal with than what they say, I have a kingdom to rule. A kingdom that has kept them safe and fed," she turned to the villager on the ground,"Isn't that right Bran?"

     Bran the villager looked horrified that he was being spoken to by the Queen, probably even more so that she new his name. His face was comical though, his blue eyes bulging out and from where I was sitting it looked as if he forgot how to breath. Although his silence will not be taken lightly from my mother if he didn't reply to her in the next ten seconds.

     Nine....eight...seven...six

     "Yes, your grace," he announced.

     My mother then rose from her seat and started to walk closer to Bran. Her elegant midnight blue dress with snow like diamonds hand sewed onto them swished by her bare feet as she made her way down the stairs. He was still on his knees so when she got close to him his bulging eyes went straight to her chest.

     I didn't want to see this man get killed just because his eyes just so happen to look forward, so I took a deep breath in and sighed louder then I needed to.

     My mother turned her head slightly towards me and without moving a muscle, she added spikes on my throne that prevented me from slouching. I didn't move fast enough, for the sake of saving the villager I endorsed my punishment and felt a small trickle of blood running down my back from where I was stabbed, staining the ivory thin dress that I wore. But this distraction broke the villagers trance and his eyes went to the floor.

     "Rise" was all my mother said. When they stood standing side by side, my mothers naturally tall height still overlooked Brans. Just the way she liked it, she liked to keep those lesser to her beneath her nose.

     "Now tell me Bran what was it that you said exactly?" She asked so kindly.

     Bran didn't know what to do, his thoughts displayed across his face, yet still no words came out. This time the Ice Queen didn't have any patience. She placed her hand gently on his throat an his pale skin began to turn blue.

     "Answer me Bran."

     "I.....I said that the village needs to be cared for more," he said quickly.

     "What else. I know there has to be more, or my knight wouldn't have went through all this hassle, and remember be truthful."

     "Well..you see your grace, the cold has been harsh on the food and the growing that it's hard to eat. And... and hard to live. We don't think you notice that. I mean.. that you have... like you said a kingdom to run... and so I know it can easily slip your mind that we are merely fragile mortals your grace."

     She took her hand off from him and he released a shaky breath.

     "I can see why you feel neglected. Surely I can see to it that you are more comfortable, I shall see too it that you will have better care." 

     My mother walked back to her throne, took her seat and waited for a reply.

     "Thank you Queen. I don't want to cause you trouble."

     My mothers smile was so sweet, and so natural that Bran thought he was safe. He bowed and then began to turned towards the exit. So close, he was so close.

     An ice cage entrapped him where he stood. He turned back to the Queen and froze.

     "If you want better treatment then you will be assigned to be a knight in training, when an attack anywhere on my lands occur you will be the first to see to it. You will not be leaving this castle, this is where you will stay now, and I do see that you will take care of it because it is my home. Now, my knight, rise and take Bran to training. He will be your responsibility. Whether you train him well or not, I do no care. Now leave my sight."

     In a swift moment the Ice cage crumbled and the knight began to escort Bran away but he resisted. This boy was just begging to be punished now, didn't he see that he got off easy? She is the Ice Queen, not the Spring King. No, he was our lawn ornament.

     "Wait, no! I.... I have a family your grace. Please let me say my farewells. You have a daughter, you must understand!" He yelled.

     Did he just really bring me into this? I got stabbed by my chair for you Bran - damn you.

     "You're right Bran. How incredibly insensitive of me. Evie my sweet child, come here."

     I rose from my throne and walked slowly to my mother side, "Yes mother."

     In that moment she grabbed my throat and began to turn me into ice. Bran's eyes bulged again as he watched my lovely mother give me some motherly love. When the ice began to go down my arms she released me. I didn't fall but I couldn't stand up right, so I quickly went to my throne. Freezing me over isn't as painful to me as it is to mortals because I do have the same powers as mothers, they're just slightly stronger. For now.

     "That is what I think of your pathetic attempt at trying to reason - no - to convince me to see your family. I have given you a life with more food, a life with importance. You said nothing of your family because you are a selfish mortal. Now leave before I take everything you have away and deem you family traitors of my throne." 

     Bran and the knight left first, followed by the rest of the audience, which consisted of knights, knights in training, and some so called advisors for the Queen. When we were the only ones left in the room I rose from my chair only to have my mother slap me across the cheek.

     Ouch.