Ch. 16

I was allowed a small closet like room inside the castle, it was far from being the biggest and most luxurious, but it was better than the cell Elis insisted I have instead. Luckily Princess Palma won the argument, on one condition though, that I have a guard with me at all times.

     So that was how I've been stuck in my room for the past hour and a half, talking to Princess Palmas son - I guess you can say we're cousins - without getting a response out of him. 

     "Can you even talk?" I asked him while I stare at the golden ceiling, "Or did they cut off your tongue? Did you steal something, is that why? In winter your lucky if they cut off your tongue and not your hands."

     He let out a frustrated breath every time I spoke.

     "Oh come on cousin, talk to me. Tell me your name at least." Shockingly there's no reply. He just stood blocking the door with a small shield in one hand and his spear in the left with other small weapons on the side of his waists, and I wouldn't bet against there being some hidden in between his leathers. Looking at him I could tell he was young, it was in his eyes. Just like the rest of the immortal royals his face showed no hint of true aging, so the real test to see someones life was in their eyes. He still had a lot to learn.

     I moved myself up onto my elbow's, "How old are you cousin?"

     No reply, so I lifted myself to stand across from him, a spears distance apart - just in case my taunting caused a rouse to get out of him.

     "Because you look about sixteen with that patchy beard. I'm sure the spots in your cheeks will grow in as the years go by. Your undeveloped muscles too, I'm sure you'll bulk up in ten more years with the right food and training."

     "Your eye sight must be getting just as old as you are then, I am 48.," he finally said.

     "He speaks!" I yelled, "Good, now that we have gotten over that family bonding, I have a favor to ask of you."

     He scoffed, but this was important. I needed to get to Ray and Zinnia, I needed to talk with them, to clear up everything that was said in the throne room. I told this to my new cousin but he wasn't so moved by my emotional dilemma.

     "Can you at least give me your name," he didn't reply, "Unless you want me to keep addressing you as cousin the whole time?"

     "Nazim," he said proudly.

     "Nazim, that's a nice name," he nodded his head as a thank you,"I'm Evie."

     "I know your name already ice princess."

     I wanted to fidget with my fingers, but that would show weakness. So instead I stood steady and still, just like I have been trained to do by my mother.

     "Look Nazim, I really do need to talk to my friends," he was about to disagree when I continued to talk,"You will be in the room the whole time, you aren't leaving my side. So you really aren't breaking any rules."

      I took a few steps closer to him and spoke low,"If you don't let me go, I'll have to move you out of the way, and I am pretty sure I can take you. You're practically a child to me."

     He scoffed again, "Looks like the poison has given you delusions after all." I didn't need to fight him, he agreed in the end and let me go talk with my friends. Only if he stayed in the room and by my side.

     Their room was two floors above me, in the more nicer area - with a view of the great open plains in summer. As we got closer and closer to their door, a ball of nerves grew in my stomach. I know they'd be mad at me, and I know there was a small chance for me to gain their trust back - again - but I had to see them. The look on their faces when I told Elis my name, the denial in Rays voice. I shook the thoughts out of my head and took a deep breath in as I stood in front of their door, and then I knocked two times. On the third Zinnia answered and took one good look at my face, and then slammed the door.