Ch. 18

"Is their father down here?" I blurted once we were alone, traveling up the dungeons stairs. It was quiet once we left Liam's cell, we didn't bother with small talk. Although I did let a smug smile slip when I past him, I wasn't going to start bragging about this accomplish. Not when it was a small one.

     "Are you planning to break him out?" Elis said in a low voice.

     He didn't see me roll my eyes, " I was just asking for them." He was silent once again, the only noise came from the torches flames and our footsteps on stone.  

     "Yes he is." And that was all he was going to say.

     When we walked out of the prison cells and back into a more lighted room I realized how incredibly filthy I was. I still had my sweat, blood and dirt from the past couple of days on me and I just couldn't take it anymore. I left Elis without so much as a goodbye and with Nazim's help he led me to one of his mothers wash rooms. I filled the water all the way to the top of the golden bath tub and borrowed some of Princess Palmas lavender sent oils to really get rid of the awful smell I started developing.

     "I know you can't really leave me alone, but you're not going to watch me take a bath are you cousin?" I joked to Nazim.

     "No, I'll find you some new clothes and wait for you outside. This door is the only one in and out, and if you try jumping out the window, you'll break your legs. Trust me I did it once on a dare, and it hurts."

     I laughed a little at the image of seeing a young and careless Nazim actually get sucked into a dare and breaking his legs as he closed the door behind him.

     Finally, this is the first time I've been alone since I stepped onto the summer lands. I look around the room, and out the window and smile. It still feels unreal to me, about my new powers, my father, and the war I'm preparing to start with my mother.

     But that wasn't was was important right now, first things first - to take a much needed bath. I take off the dress and toss it to the side. The summers war air tickling my bare skin. Slowly I put one leg in at a time and release a sigh of relief as I fully submerge under the cool welcoming water. Under I hear nothing, but the own beating of my heart being stronger.

     My thoughts start coming through, about how I am going to strategize everything, or even work with the substitute king when the very site of his face annoys me. Along with getting the rest of summers warriors to trust me enough to lead them, let alone have them die for me when the time comes. 

     I can do this. This is what I've wanted for years. I can do this........ Can I kill my mother?

    Immediately I stop thinking and lift my head out of the water and inhale a loud breath. I shut my thoughts off and focus on cleaning my skin. I run my finger by my shoulder where I took an arrow for my friends. My skin was perfectly healed now, not even a scar to have for a memory except for the actual memory itself. Ray and Zinna, the first friends I have ever really had. And then theres Ray, his sweet smile warms me just remembering it, his gentle touch as he held me on our ride to the castle - 

     I roll my eyes and let out a snicker. 

     This bath is getting me more sentimental then I like. Or maybe its all the summer people. They're all so open and emotional. In winter everyone is quiet and keeps to theirselves. I need to get use to is, to balance both. 

     When the cool water loses its touch I decide my relaxation time is over, I wrap one of Princess Palmas bright robes around my body and knock on the door.

    "Nazim, I'm ready for my clothes."

     There was no reply. I knock again, nothing.

    I open the door just slightly and instead of Nazim, in walks his mother holding what I'm guessing are my clothes.