Ch. 7

"Hi Ray, what a turn of events back in the village. People should really check their carts before they decide to put heavy stuff on it. Accidents happen all the time," I said casually.

     "Nova, why did you steal that apple if you were just going to throw it away. If you're still hungry then just tell me and I would have bought you something. But don't steal," he sounded irritated. 

    "I didn't steal it-" I began to say.

     "Nova don't lie to me, I saw you take it."

     "Yeah, you saw me pick up a bruised apple off the floor. No ones going to buy a rotten apple that's been on the floor, wow, how horrible of me. You need to calm down Ray," I said sarcastically. I was leaning on the wall a few feet away from Ray, who was getting closer and closer with each second.

     "You didn't steal anything then?" he questioned.

    "No Ray, now just drop it, and lets get back to your house. Or better yet I'll just be leaving now," I said, and started to lift myself off the warm bricks, but Ray was on me in seconds. And I mean on me, he had me pressed up to the wall, caging my body so I couldn't leave.

     "Nova, I'm going to ask you one more time, did you steal anything?" he breath whispered across my face.

     "I'm going to tell you, one more time. No Ray I didn't steal anything," I replied angrily. Why is he so upset about seeing me take an apple that was already on the floor. Are summers really emotional about these things? It was getting on my nerves.

     Ray started to run his rough hand up my thigh. His touch shocked me at first, I even kind of welcomed it because of the tenderness of it, but then he found what he wanted - my dagger. He ripped it off me and held it far away from my reach.

     "Give it back Ray," I said slowly. He was testing my patience, and I also felt a twinge of embarrassment that he out smarted me. That his touch distracted me, I was better than that.

     "You lied, and you stole, I don't know what else you've done, but you certainly don't need my help. I'm done with you," he gave me one last look and turned away.

     I couldn't let him go, not when he still had my dagger in his hands.

     "Wait!" he didn't turn around, "Ray, wait!" he still didn't listen. I ran after him and once I caught up, I stopped in front of him.

     "Leave, fine. Whatever, I don't need you, just give me back my dagger."

     "You've got some nerve Nova," he scoffed.

     "I need protection, and if you leave me without it then it'll be your fault if anything happens to me," I said.

     "Protection?  You don't get it do you? We don't steal, lie or cheat here in Summer. These people," he points back to the village, "are good, hard working people just trying to make a living. They aren't hurting anyone, all we do is help people. And the second you come in, you take advantage of that. So no I'm not going to give you back something that definitely does not belong to you," he yelled to me, "you aren't any summer I've ever met, so whoever you are, and wherever you came from, just do us all a favor and go back to there."

     He brushed my shoulder as he walked past me. And I was furious. He was being a dramatic goody two shoes, if thats what he believed all summers were like then he was surely naive. Summers have been known to grow savage with the suns heat boiling their brain, it was human nature deep down to do anything to survive and I'm sure if given the chance that everyone in this village will kill in order to do so. It was my dagger, I wanted it, so I'm going to get it back.