Ch. 19

Fighting with Nazim was more difficult than I thought it would be. He was strong and swift when he attacked. It was rare to see those two qualities together be done so perfectly in a fighter his size but he was gifted. Palma knows how to breed them.

    For me though, the spears were still hard to use. I didn't see how a stick with a sharp metal top could be so harmful. I mean, the lightness of it was comforting and a lot less tiring then a sword, but still I would rather take a good strong quick swing to my opponent with the strongest metal then a branch. But there was no denying I could hold my own when it came to hand to hand combat along with swords and arrows. 

     The sun began to rise and the heat with it, I decided that now would be a good time to take a break before Elis came down to train me. Plus, I might not be tired, but Nazim - no matter how amazing of a fighter he was - is still somewhat human. He still depends on food, sleep, water and relaxation in order to balance himself out.

     "First day of training complete. I'll see you again tonight Princess," he said as he walked back to the castle.

     "Goodnight Prince," I muttered, he faltered his step slightly as he turned to me.

     "Prince?" he raised his dark brow.

      I ran my fingers through the healthy green grass and looked him in the eye, "Well, you are a prince right? You're technically in line for the thrown. So, Prince Nazim."

     "I guess I've stopped seeing it that way."

     "Really? Why?" I questioned.

     "Well," he stayed standing, "Ever since I was born there was a spear in my hand and I've just been a warrior since," he blinked and his face softened as he looked at me, "Besides, theres no point in calling myself a Prince when I'm never going to get promoted," he lifted his chin up to me, "You on the other hand have a closer chance."

     I simply nodded my head as he left and then I was alone again, but being alone this time didn't bring up any unnecessary doubts, instead I heard the land start to stir away. Birds singing gently to the sun, their own melody for the new day. When I saw their blue feathers fly past me I wanted to follow where they went. I haven't gotten a tour of the castle, and Elis was taking his sweet time meeting me - or he's refusing to train me - so might as well do it myself.

     I walk farther away from the castle grounds and deeper into the trance of the jungle. The suns light on the enormous plants vibrate with color, even the dull and muted greens seemed to have that glow of life to them. Deeper into the jungle, I saw animals I have never seen before. Some high in the trees hanging down by their tails, eating fresh fruit they had just picked. 

      I was fascinated by the little creatures that hung together in a group, but their moves were so effortless for being that high in the trees, without wings, only balance on the branches to keep themselves safe from falling to their deaths. They seemed to be a close family, the bigger males on the outer edges protecting the females and young in the center. But one of the babies was still learning and ended up dropping its meal right by my feet. It landed with a soft thud, and the baby screamed as I picked it up. Quickly it came rushing down the tree, sliding down the trunk of the tree, followed by an adult.

     They seemed harmlessly small, but I didn't have any clue as to what these animals could do, so I slowly extended my arm to the baby, showing her that I didn't want the fruit. After what felt like minutes of me being in that out stretched position did the baby start to move, but she was held back, the bigger one came towards me with caution instead, sniffing me out and puffing out its chest, kind of how Elis does whenever he's around me.