Ch. 24

I know I was dreaming my memories of when I was just a kid. Only a couple of years old walking with my mother in her castle. Younger me would bounce around and throw mini snow balls at the knights to try and get them to play when I was left by myself- but they never budged. 

     Most of my childhood was just me looking around the castle for people to talk to while my mother went off to do her Queen duties. Although after my incident with the summer King in the front lawn, my mother did promise to help me use and control my powers. 

     She kept true to her word as we practiced with the knights, using them as our little puppets. She would even kill some by accident when she got to eager to teach me, but never once did I take it as far as her. She would get angry at me for not doing so, but soon moved on with the lesson. Although, looking back at the memories, I'm sure their deaths were far from an accident, she never did anything out of context.

      And then my next memory flashed and I was eleven years old, training with a knights son in an empty room in the castle. His name was Logan, and he was the only other kid my age who wasn't afraid of me. He had pale skin, like most winters do, but blonde hair and ice blue eyes that never left my dark ones. It was always the two of us, sneaking off into rooms to play when we were kids. And still at sixteen it was the two of us sneaking off into rooms, only we didn't play kid games anymore.

    He was my first friend, and my first love. The more we spent time together, the closer we grew.

     "Why aren't you scared of me like everyone else is?" I asked him one time when we snuck out of the castle while my mother was somewhere in a far village and into our secret ice caves miles away. I had made that place as home like as I could, bringing blankets, warm clothes and food for him. And he would always manage to bring me a leaf, or even a broken twig. Every time he said he would have brought me flowers, but he didn't want to pluck them from the ground to kill them, not when they were so rare. Nevertheless I cherished each present. 

     He turned dramatically, having his voice filled with humor while he held my face in his palms, "Because Evie, your beauty is just too captivating, I can't pull away. Even though it's dangerous to be with you, I just don't care."

     "So you'll willingly die for me, just because I'm beautiful?" I rolled my eyes at him. He was always so dramatic and well... goofy. He always had a light mood, even when I was directing my frustration towards him, he didn't care. I never deserved it, everyone new I was a spoiled Princess, but Logan always had put my needs and happiness before his.

     "Yes. And it's not just your appearance my dear, it's your very being. The way you care for others, the true goodness in your heart. It was when we first met, you remember?" I nodded my head as he continued his story in a more softer and far off voice, "You told me to sneak the remainder of the food from the castle into the villages after your first council meeting with your mother, when you found out how starved the people actually were. You were so fearless, so young, I just couldn't help but fall in love with you-"

     I grabbed his face and pulled it into mine for a kiss. The memory of being seventeen and in love warmed my heart, but the next memory of me being eighteen and in love, crushed my very being.

     My mother and I were in a council meeting, just the two of us in an empty hall for once.

     "Where is every one else mother?"

     She stayed sitting on her throne and only raised her hand to open the ice doors, "Come in" she commanded. And then in strolled a familiar family. It was Logan holding his little sisters hand to the right and his mothers on his left. Logan and his mother had sweat and blood stains on their clothing's, and though his little sister was unharmed, she had soiled herself some time ago. Despite the bruises on his face he walked with his shoulders back, but I could see he was just as nervous to be in front of the queen.