Ch. 25

"Wait... my mother was the one who initiated the attack?" I asked in disbelief.

      "Yes, that's why we need to leave right this instant."

      I couldn't help it, I let my laugh slip. At the thought of my mother actually starting the attack was something that was highly unlikely for her. She probably had the summer court on the edge with her attack but I saw it for what it really was, she was getting anxious. I was making her nervous now.

     "You think this attack is funny Evie?" His dark eyes sharpened, "30 of my people are dead, and hundreds have been injured and there were no casualties from her side."

     My mood changed into a more serious one, "I didn't know lives where lost-" I started to say, when the door slammed opened to reveal Ray with dark circles under his eyes and his curls unkempt. His chest was bare and except for the thin wraps of cloth around his burn marks, the ones I gave him. We locked eyes and within a breaths moment he held me tight in his strong arms. I let him hold me, mostly because I felt safe. And also because I know I scared everyone with my outburst.

     "You're awake," he whispered in my ear.

     Elis cleared his throat behind us, "We don't have time for this. Evie we need to go, now."

     I broke away from Ray, but he held his arms around me though, practically refusing to let me go. But the memories of Logan still lingered in my thoughts, as if his loss happened yesterday and not years before.

     "Of course I'm fine. I am a royal who can practically bounce back from anything," I smiled, "But Elis is right. This is not the time for hugs and tea time, this is the time for war. And right now my first priority it to stop my mother from hurting anymore innocent lives," I stepped farther away from Ray and closer to the door, "I promise we'll get to catch up when this is all over, but for now, I need to stop putting this issue aside."

     "Or we can talk as we head for the boarder," Ray said so casually.

     "You are defiantly not coming with us, this wont be one of our practice sessions Ray." 

     "I know its not Princess, it's a war. A war I have already signed up for," He glanced at Elis, "One the King has already approved of."

     My eyes went wide and I slowly turned to look at Elis, "No," I said calmly.

     "You can't tell me what wars I can or cannot fight in Evie," Ray said.

     "Oh, on contrary I think I can. If you want me to be your ruler than you better start letting me rule. And as such, I declare that you and your sister stay here in summer on safe castle grounds."

     I held up my chin and walked out of the room with Nuri right beside me, showing them that I was being serious. The moment of our happy reunion now gone as my stomach sank.

     "He is a citizen of summer Evie, therefore he is mine until you actually have at least one season to rule, therefore he - and anyone else with the right training and experience who wishes to fight - will start heading to the boarder this instant," Elis stated in his authoritative voice.

     I didn't like it, not one bit, so I turned to him with pleating eyes and a hushed voice, "I just told you what happened to Logan, I cannot and will not lose anymore people that I care about by the hands of my mother."

     He sighed and put his hand gently on my shoulder, "I'm sorry Evie, but anyone who wants to go, will fight. There is nothing I can do to stop it."

     Technically you can. You are the king, you just have to say the word and people will listen.

**********