1. Ice-cream and Ignorance

"I think I'm gonna get the mint chocolate chip. . ." Paige examines the pump before hastily pulling the lever, and a gush of green, liquified cream comes cascading down into her small, pinkish bowl. "What are you getting?"

"You know what I'm getting," I roll my eyes at her, happily skipping over to the last of the choices, as I noticed they had my favorite flavor in stock. This has always been my favorite kind of ice-cream, and it's so hard to find, nowadays! And to top it off, at a small joint in upstate Washington? Talk about beautiful coincidence.

"Rainbow sherbert." We say simultaneously and burst into a fit of giggles.

Now all that I have to do is figure out how much I'm paying.

That'll be a more difficult quest than I'm used to, but I accept it as my fate and destiny.

"So, I know that one of these cups is .0025 of an ounce. Along with my ice-cream, that'll equal…" My brow furrows in concentration, and Paige pushes a groan out before setting her cold sugary treat down on the paying scale.

"Jenny, you have to lighten up about the money! Look; I can pay for you, if you want, but-"

"That won't be necessary!" I bite my lip in satisfaction and raise my clenched fist to the sky. "I've calculated the amount of ounces and multiplied that by price per ounce, and I've concluded that I will be paying exactly three dollars and eight cents for my ice-cream."

"You know what. . ." She slams her palm on her forehead before backing away, holding her decorative cup. "As a token of gratitude, for finding out the amount of ice-cream you're getting, why don't you go in front of me?"

I scowl at her from under my hardly perfected brows, as she ushers me in front. Something about her sarcastic tone didn't seem genuine. She's a tricky one, I'll give her that much.

I don't see why she gets so angry when I figure out how much I'm paying. I was raised to respect the value of the dollar!

I toddle up to the cash register, just as the last man was pushing through the big, double doors, escaping into the lazy pavements of our small town.

Through all of the quiet chatter and commotion in the parlor, I can still hear the desolated ring of a lone coin jingling against the counter top. My eyes widen a fraction as they navigate downwards to find the source of the clamor.

…. A dime? Who would leave a dime on the counter?

As I put all of the pieces together in my head, I realize there could only be one culprit who do such an act, as to leave behind 10 perfectly good cents!

The man before me! I have to catch up to him and return his dime!

"Sorry, Paige! I'll be right back!" I grapple for the thinned metal, and bolt through the doors, not bothering to hear her complaints or objections.

Why couldn't this person just freaking pick up his dime?! It's just one coin. Why did they have to be so stubborn as to leave it behind for anyone to have?! Such a disgrace. Someone worked hard for that money.

I stumble upon a crowded parking lot, and frantically scan the rowed cars for the unfamiliar face that I'm hoping I'll recognize.

No luck. There's too many people either entering their cars or jumping out eagerly from excitement overload.

I sigh half-heartedly, when I spot someone tall across the lot in the corner of my eye. He has dark blonde hair, and could easily reach up to six foot and one inch tall. At least.

Jenny, now is not the time to play 'I spy with my little eye…'. You have to give back this coin, if it's he last thing you do!

I hurtle my feet towards the shrinking figure, as he gets further and further away, not caring that my hair is rushing passed my ears and I probably look like a stupid elephant whilst sprinting. I clutch the silver metal in my sweaty palm and quicken my already bone shattering pace. I notice the man opens the door to a black sports car, near the back of the lot, and he hops in, closing the door behind him.