18. Sorrow and Snowflakes

The time is now. It's time. It's finally here, and I couldn't be more nervous.

I gaze up at the house in front of me, so recognizable and distinctive, yet so alien and unknown. The red Toyota Camry is parked in the driveway, just right to the wilted flowers in the garden. I know what I want.

I hobble up the front steps, being discreet as can be, and draw back the door bell. Sounding three times before someone comes, I jam my fists into my pockets as far as they'll go, and await my slow decent into Hell.

"Jenny? What are you doing?" Dad's familiar face appears at the door. He takes one look at me, back at the door, and cocks an eyebrow.

"Uh..." I chuckle nervously, trotting up to his side. "I need to borrow your car."

"Oh? What for?" He places a hand on his hip, craning his neck ever so slightly.

"Well, a while ago you said you'd help me... You know, with the Kenny thing?" I tap my fingers together, avoiding his face at all costs. Don't make me look up... Don't make me look up!

"Is that really what you want?" He says defeatedly, pumping out all the air in my lungs. I avert my eyes back to his face, and take note of the dejected look in his chocolate orbs. "Jen, you've gone through so much, and I won't ask for the details, but... Just remember that there's always going to be a time when it gets hard, and you'll want to give up. Don't commit yourself to something you're unsure about."

"I want to do this, dad." I frown, feeling a cyclone of emotions twist and turn inside me.

"Okay." He puts up his hands in defeat, turning slightly to expose the inside of our house. "Let me go get my keys."

And with that, he scurries into the kitchen without another sound. I tap my foot impatiently on the 'welcome' mat beneath my shoes.

This is actually going to happen. I'm going to be able to see Kenny again. Why hasn't he been coming to school? Is it me?!

I guess... He just really doesn't like friends. Is what I'm going to do... right? Was my dad right, in what he was saying?

No. I can't give up on Kenny. After everything he's done for me? No way. Even if he never wants to see me again, at least I'll be able to get some explanations.

Let's just hope he's home...

"Here." Dad reappears at the door, dangling a Mickey Mouse key chain between his front to fingers. I snatch it away without another thought. "Stay safe!"

"Will do!" I holler back, as I plop down into the unusually soft fabric of the car. Slamming the keys into the lock, I hurtle myself backwards and into the street. Okay, I've only had my driver's liscense for a little bit, but still.

I bob my head slightly with the beat of the song, Life is a Highway by Rascal Flatts. Besides The Script, I have to say that they're pretty up there.

I follow the roads I've known to lead me to Kenny's house, and sure enough, I arrive there shortly, making good time. What time is it now?

4:18 PM? Geez. I must have spent more time with Jackson than I realized.

I pull up slowly to the garage, rolling down my window. A flashing ivy button greets me, inviting me in. Wait. He has a password! Right. I forgot what it was.. What was it again? ...

"What? Why Theodor Herzl?"

"Well, no robber probably knows of him."

I press in the blinking button, and clear my throat. "Theodor Hertzl."