26. Saviors and Solutions

A thin stream of light pours in from the window, illuminating his face in a ghastly shadow.

Kenny glances between us, angst burrowed deep into his marrow.

"You hardly know the man." I narrow my gaze, studying my father with a cruel intensity, his eyes twitch a bit.

"He's my brother. How was I supposed to know?" He spits, wiping his hands on the tablecloth. "Do you really want me to reject his money? Have your 'boyfriend' die because of your goddamn pride?!"

"Enough!" Mom barks, rising from her seat. She turns to me, her eyes pleading. "Jenny, just think about this for a minute. It'd pay for his medical expenses. Plus... The I.D.A are suckers for a good bribe!"

I calculate my options slowly, rummaging in my brain for an answer. I look at Kenny, his blue eyes trained on mine thoughtfully, making my heart melt all over again.

If it would mean the slightest possibility of having a happy life with him alive...

"Fine. Do what you want." I say tightly, an ashamed yet hopeful smile finding my lips.

"Is that a yes? We're taking the money?" Kenny pipes in then, attracting my attention. I turn to him, my shoulders slumping. I take a few steps, barely grazing his chest with mine. We lock eyes; the words left unsaid because our eyes can translate them for us.

"Yes." I say with glee, and collapse into his chest. He laughs triumphantly, rubbing circles into my back. Embers poke at the skin beneath his touch, and I shiver in pleasure.

I can hear Mom and Dad's shouts of joy, as they collide with each other, knowing I've stooped to their level.

According to them, taking $25 million from a completely unknown relative is acceptable. It's not.

And we still don't know if we're going to use that money to help Kenny's illness! Does he even want to do the procedure?

"Kenny?" I utter throughout the sing-song melodies inside our house. Paris and Jackson were upstairs, but now, they've come down. I still don't know where Toma, or whatever his name is. My uncle. "Can we go somewhere and talk?"

His expression stills, and his arms lock around my body in a powerful embrace. "What's wrong with here?"

"Are you really going to fight me? And now, out of all times?" I deadpan, an unwanted smirk somehow finding my face.

"Fine." He heaves a sigh, leading me into the familiar stained couch of our living room. We curl up next to each other, hand in hand. My heart pounds in my ears, and I feel as though I can't hear anything.

"Anyway," I clear my throat, shake my head. "Um... We have the money now.. Enough to bribe the I.D.A for me to stay here. And for..."

"Jenny, you're shaking." He chuckles, padding his lips lightly on my forehead. "Listen-- I would never ask something like that of your family. That's your money, and yours only."

"That's not what I was asking!"

"Oh?" He raises an eyebrow, leaning back into the couch.

From in the other room, I can hear Paris and Jackson muttering over something, and Mom and Dad trying to decide which type of cake they're going to buy in celebration of our staying here.

"What were you going to ask me?"

I swallow hard, my throat turning dry. "I wanted to know if-- You were-- Umm..."

"Jenny..." He laughs, threading his arms behind me and pulling me into him. "You really want to talk about this now?"

"Yeah! Kenny, we have the money! What else would we use it for?" I feel a few prickly tears begin to peck at my eyeballs. "P-Please. Kenny, if you weren't here, I actually don't know what I'll do..."