16. Absense and Aggravation

He stopped.

Ever since January the 24th of the year 2010, Kendall Brush stopped coming to school.

His seat at the piano remains unoccupied, ghost like even, resembling a shadow of what once was perfect, blissful.

People had started to notice his absense, glancing back only for an instant when I wasn't watching. I feel their stares. Whether I'm looking or not, I can still feel the stares. I don't know where they come from. It seems even the walls tend to observe me, although they have no eyes.

I feel like a rat. A rat that had been kept in a cage, and all the scientists surrounding it would look down at me with distinct curiousity that had my ears perking up and my eyebrows twitching. But I'm not a rat. I'm a student, feeling the guilt of a murderer pack onto my shoulders.

Why isn't Kenny here?! I've been asking myself that question all day. Especially now, during Mr. Dolton's boring lecture about how we are too irresponsible for our own good.

I've already grilled Jackson about why he's not here, but he seemed to know as much as I do. And I know nothing!

I watch longingly at the keys to my left, remembering how on the first day, he completed one of the hardest piano concertos in the little time before class started. If I focus hard enough, I can almost see them moving with his rhythmic fingers. But that hallucination quickly fades, and I'm thrust back into the cruel reality that is my life.

I've still had little time to think over what I'm going to ask of my dad. He said he would help me, true, but I still am completely unaware of the limitations of that offering. I don't even know where I would begin!

 The honk of the bell bleats out, signalling that the first period of the day is officially concluded. Students begin to ramble out of their seats, eager to flee the wrath of the 'oh-so powerful' Mr. Dolton. He seems principally irritated today, for God knows why.

I slink my bag onto my stiff shoulders, and make for the door, barely getting through without being smushed by one of the other, bigger students, since, in comparison, I am quite small.

But big enough to take you down, so don't call me small!

"How you holdin' up?" A tentative hand finds my shoulder, making me jump in surprise. A paper falls out of one of my side pockets and onto the ground. Jackson looks into my face with mischief, before bending down and snagging it without another word. "What's this?"

"Give that back!" I yelp, fighting solely against one of his arms, while he skims over whatever note could be scribbled on it.

"What the hell?" His eyebrows furrow together, but not before a crafty grin plays at his lips. "Roses are red, violets are blue-"

Oh, God. "Give that back!"

"I know you're in bed, I am too? What type of love letters are you gettin'?" He returns the crumpled piece of paper and throws his arms back, roaring with laughter.

"None of your beeswax." I grumble beneath my breath, and he tosses me an 'are-you-serious' type of look. "And, to answer your previous question, I'm doing just fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine."

"Really?" He utters sarcastically, although his genuine interest has not gone forseen.

"Yes." I say tightly, embarking on the far set of stairs where multitudes of other students have already begun to climb. "And, as I remember, you have math now, which is on this floor. I have science, which is not. So b-bye now."

"Fiesty." He cackles, before flipping me off, and turning a corner. What a d-

"Hey! I'd assume you're on your way to science, too?" Ariel's familiar voice chirps in my ear, startling me to say the least. That's strange. I thought he was mad at me. Better not question it.