27. Passion and Promises

I remember, back in Nicaragua, I had a friend named Roberto. He was good looking, not too short, not too tall. A little mess of hair on top of his olive colored head. A week before I found out I was leaving, he had said the exact same words to me, only with more restraint. Almost as if there was a slight possibility that I wouldn't return these feelings.

I didn't.

The only thing I had felt that day, I remember; he took me out for a lunch at a small joint a little ways in town; the only thing I had felt was sympathy. Sympathy, that he had poured his heart out with three simple words, only to have the receiver not be able to say the same message back. Why? I didn't feel the same.

I gulp hard, my salivia scratching my throat on the way down. "Y-Y-Y-You do?!?"

He remains frozen, his eyes trained on mine in the most frightening manor. It almost seems as if his entire being was locked up, having revealed too much.

However, he breaks free of his unexplainable trance, and continues on. "Uh..."

"K-Kendall. --Do you love me?" I bite my lip in anticipation, my cheeks burning at the mere thought of someone having affectionate feelings for me is behind my comprehention.

Okay, I knew that Kenny liked me, in a sense that he enjoyed my company and put up with me, but he loves me? Like, actually?

"I'm bad at talking about my feelings!" He whines, slapping his open palms on the velvety carpet beneath our rumps. I force him to remain in tight eye contact, seeing as I need to know if he was telling the truth! I can't be toyed with! He sqirms under my gaze, but eventually sighs, and tangles his fingers with mine. "--Yeah, Jenny. I do."

"You're not messing around?" I warn, dislodging my hand from his, and crossing my arms over his chest.

His eyes almost appear glassy, watery, for a second, before he lets his eyes wander to one of the stained glass portraits on the side of the wall. That's Kenny's house, for ya.

"Can I talk to you-- Without you interrupting for--"

"When have I ever interrupted you?" I spit, throwing my hands into the air. My eyes grow wide, and I back down into a comfortable position on the floor, directly across from him. "Point taken. Continue."

"Anyways," He shakes his head, a teensy smile popping onto his lips. "At first, I thought you were so annoying, I couldn't stand it. Any girl that was as annoying as you deserved to be put down. With as much knock out medicine as-"

I grunt suddenly, cutting him off before he can finish his sentence. If only he did, he'd be alone faster than any Michael Phelps race I've ever seen.

"That still counts. --When I realized we were growing closer, I had to cut you off. Sorry about that by the way. I didn't want you to have to suffer when...."

"Moving on, I get this really weird feeling.. that even Huntington's doesn't give me."

He smirks, hopefully lightening the heavy air around us, but to little prevail. I peer so intently into his eyes, hoping to find a way out, but I eventually drowned in his abyss like seas. So blue, so pure...

"Whenever I'm around you, it's like I'm about to throw up." He admits, and I giggle whilst punching him. "But.... it's nice. I've read about, you know, being in love, and all that.. I think I am. --Jenny, I know that whenever we spend time together, I find myself praying for time to slow down so that I can cherish each and every moment, because... I know that they're limited. And I know that you know, too. There were so many times when I wanted to freeze in the moments we were together. So.. What I'm trying to say is... Jenny, I lov-"