9. Lasers and Ladies

"I'm having a Christmas party on the 26th, the Saturday after next. Want to come?" Ariel, who I forgot was sitting next to me, whispers into my ear, as Mr. P continues to tell us how unproductively we've been using our time. Considering Ariel and I have been using the time he's been giving us efficiently, I don't understand the need for this discussion. It must be Paige and her partner who I forgot the name of. They spend their time in the back of the room chatting about something completely irrelevant to science every time I'm back there, which is never. I only pass them on my way to the printer at the back of the room. I've stopped printing there.

"Uh, sounds fun. Can I bring anyone or is it a strict guest list?" I whisper back as soon as Mr. P turns back to the whiteboard.

"Nah. Feel free to bring anyone." He speaks with restraint, as if he's hesitant to say the words that just came out of his mouth. He sighs deeply, and doodles on the sides of his notebook.

"All right. I'll be there." I give a reassuring smile, and suddenly, a terrible shock goes down my spine as I realize the room is entirely quiet. I jerk my head up to find Mr. P staring at me as if he'd like to use a spoon to gouge out my eyes. He probably would enjoy that.

"Principal's office. Now." He barks, pointing with an angry finger at the open door. All of the eyes in the room are plastered on me, and I can feel Ariel's held back chuckles beside me. I mentally curse him, and grab my bag before trotting out the door.

Who does he think he is?! I wasn't even! Ugh!

Before I can even comprehend what's happened, a hand snakes around my face, covering my mouth with a clammy palm.

"I've got her! C'mon, boys!" Someone deep sounds above my head, and drags me forcefully to the stairs. Before they have a chance to abuse me or chop off any of my limbs, I bite down on the man's hand, using my beautifully crafted canines. He whelps in pain, recoiling his hand and backing away. My heart is practically beating out of my chest, and I turn around to see my kidnapper.

"You fucking loser, Kenny." I cry internally, and slap his chest as hard my little arms will let me. "Oh, God. You're bleeding!"

"Yeah, thanks for that by the way." He scowls at me, spitting his words like ice.

"Hey! That's your fault! I was defending myself!" I put my hand up to my chest in feigned hurt. "What were you doing here anyway?"

"I was waiting for your dumb ass, but I didn't expect you to get let out early. What happened?" He jams his bloody fist into his pocket, and joins me down the steps.

"I got sent to the principal's office…" I sigh irritably, feeling my exasperation levels rising.

"Oooo! Little girl got in trouble! What for?" He sneers, jabbing me slightly with his words.

"I was talking to Ariel…" I confess, feeling slightly guilty.

"Oh yeah?" He asks with a fake smile, doing a terrible job at hiding the grimness in his voice.

"Yeah. He invited me to a party next Saturday…" I steal a glance in his direction, and notice his blank expression. That's the worst kind; something that I can't read.

"Oh." He says tiredly, rubbing his temples.

"Don't worry. I don't have to go if you don't want me to. I'm just glad you didn't say 'I'm going to fucking blow his brains out', 'cause surely you would've said that yesterday." I giggle, feeling butterflies flap their wings inside my stomach, tickling my various organs at the memory of yesterday and our little star gazing adventure.

"Good. But I'm coming with you." Kenny laughs out loud, hopping into his car. I just realized I didn't even go to the principal's office. We're in the parking lot now. Oh well.

Once Upon A Dime (hiatus)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें