22. Torment and Torture

7:57.

That's the current time. In approximately one hundred and eighty seconds, the bell will ring, and the entirety of the class should be in the classroom, ready to begin the process of learning.

Except that there's someone not here, besides the cocky pianist.

And by someone, I mean that specific blonde in the percussion section that plays xylophone. He usually wears stripes and dark washed pants, and oh! Right, he has a speech impediment.

"We still have a few minutes. Calm yourself." Paige warbles whilst braiding a few stray strands of her distressed jeans. "He'll be here."

"How do you know that?" I bark, folding my arms in front of me, and clacking my jaw. I stare impatiently at the clock, begging it to work it's magic and move faster.

"I don't see why you gotta care so much..." She wonders aloud, tapping the mouth piece of her trumpet against her callused lips. "He's not your boyfriend."

"Excuse me?!" I bare my fangs at Paige, and her eyes widen in terror. "I can be nosey if I want to! ....Plus, I want to find something out."

"Oh yeah?" She raises an eyebrow, tilting her head to the side slightly. "What-"

The bell finally quacks out, signalling the start of class. So he's absent? Well, that's fantastic. I guess I won't know why he broke up with Arabella until-

"Please, take your seats, take your seats..." Mr. Dolton says cheerfully, slightly more rosey than most days. I wonder what's gotten into him. He looks like one of Willy Wonka's minions. "Now, today, we have a special guest joining us."

Mr. Dolton motion to the strings surrounding him, and they pick up their instruments, inclined to play. What.. What are they doing? Which song are we starting with? Who's the special guest?!

WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON?!

Mr. Dolton begins to conduct, and the players around him begin to play a whimsical tune. Whatever it is, it's ridiculously romantic, and screams of Schubert.

At that moment, the doors swing open, and a puff of fog rides in, concealing a figure masked in a black cover. He parades into the room, and I get a good look of his face. My jaw cracks in two, and half of it falls onto the floor.

"H-h-hello." Tanner stands pointedly at a large podium, just to the right of Mr. Dolton. He straightens out his red bow-tie, and clears his throat. "My name is Tanner. I've b-been taking speech th-therapy classes, just to prep-pare for this moment."

My heart stops in my chest, as his eyes somehow manage to find mine, and he gives me a beaming smile, outdoing the sun by all means.

"There's a special girl i-in here, and I've been helplessly i-in love with her for a while, now." He blushes madly, as he looks down at his hands. "I'm sure you all know. She s-saved me from getting shot at, while buying Black Ops in the mall's Gamestop."

A few of the people that aren't playing chuckle neatly. All of the blood drains from my face, as I realize he's referring to me.

.... He's been... in love.... with me?! FOR A WHILE NOW?!

"Now, although it's a while away..." Tanner looks up from his fingers, a piercing confidence in his eyes. "Jenny, will you go to prom with me?!"

The music stops, and I feel all of the eyes in the room navigate to me. Paige's eyes hook onto mine, an alarmed and betrayed expression dawning on her features. I could guess why. She's seemed to have taken a liking to Arabella. She knows that they were dating. Well, I don't even know if she knows they broke up.